Thread: ROWID in DB2

Unanswered: ROWID in DB2

I want to have a absolute row identifier for each row in my table, without creating any unque identity column in my table.
    e.g something like ROWID in ORACLE.

IS there any way to get it?

Re: ROWID in DB2

select row_number() over() as row_count, column_name from table_name

Is this what you want?

Originally posted by sandips
    I want to have a absolute row identifier for each row in my table, without creating any unque identity column in my table.
    e.g something like ROWID in ORACLE.

IS there any way to get it?

Not exactly, because row_number() is query specific, I want to store the rowids in a temporary table and want to use them in another query.
    So it is imperative that the rowid should reflect the absoulte position in the table like ROWID does in ORACLE.

The rowid in Oracle is only static as long as the table is not restructured, so using this as a unique key might not be considered best practice.

Is there any reason that you can't include an identity column?

getting unique identity of a row

I am talking about a situation where there is no question of restructuring the table in production environment.

I am not sure whether I can include one identity key in my table.
    Actually I thought of adding the identity column as the last resort to my problem.
    any other solution?
    thanx and regards
    Sandip

Does your production table not have a primary key? Can you expand a little on the exact circumstances?

Thanks, Damian.

Identity field problem

Sorry for the delay in reply,
    The problem is my production table has a composite primary key and I have some 2 crores of records in the table. so generating the additional identity key means
    4 bytes per int field multiplied by 2 crores record = 80 MB of additional memory requirement for an additional column which is at best can be averted by using some other means of SQL.

Hi,

As per your circumstances you can only use the first solution and store it in a temp table.
    Otherwise what my experience says with DB2 is that there is no way out, at the cost of Memory.

Cheers,
    Prashant