Thread: basic questions

Exclamation Unanswered: basic questions

i have insatalled mysql and mysql control center on windows 2000 advanced server, this runs in computer system tray as windows startup.
    what are the default users/password for the database.
    when I connect run the mysqlexe it gets connects to the server and I can use the databases .but how can i know under what user i am getting connected? and when I connect through mysql control center it doesn't allow me to connect.
    how to create a new user in mysql ?
    please help.
    how i can connect it from command prompt or from any other way.

Seems to me MySQL server during it's first launch asks user about master username/password. If you missed it and during installation always hit enter-enter-enter than your username should be "root" and password field left blank .... (or also "root"? hmmm - I do not 100% sure about password field - try both variants).
    Yours faithfully,
    Yaroslav Zaremba

Re: basic questions

Originally posted by harshal_in
    i have insatalled mysql and mysql control center on windows 2000 advanced server, this runs in computer system tray as windows startup.
    what are the default users/password for the database.
    when I connect run the mysqlexe it gets connects to the server and I can use the databases .but how can i know under what user i am getting connected? and when I connect through mysql control center it doesn't allow me to connect.
    how to create a new user in mysql ?
    please help.
    how i can connect it from command prompt or from any other way.
    Hi,

most likely you haven't create user who can connect NOT from local host, by default mysql server doesn't allow connection NOT from local machine.

You should make sure that user table have a user with the % (percent sign) in host field. This tells mysql that user can connect from any other machine

Hope this help

qha_vn