Thread: Student at CEI!

Student at CEI!

Hi my name is Chris and just found this board while doing some reasearch for my final project; SQL Server Design class. Just saying Good Job to all who make this possible.

Here is just a test question that I have been wanting to ask:

What would information would you have in a database for a message board? One similar to this one? I myself need to do a final project in class where I do a database with tables and all that for a company. I choose to do something a lil diffrent. Online message boards is something I love, and would like to see how a database is used. And insight would be nice.

This particular forum software (www.vbulletin.com) had a free version (vBulletin Lite), which they discontinued recently.

I suggest you google for and take a look at the database structure of the folowing online forum software: phpBB , phorum , and openBB.

Thanks, I was just checking to see if it SQL sever 2000 itself would be practical to use as a database for a message board. However it would seem using PHP and all the others out there the thing to do.
    Last edited by umbamf; 01-21-03 at 16:00.

There are a couple of vbulletin forums (you'll find the links at vbulletin.com itself) running SQL Server as the backend quite effectively. Though it requires much tweaking.

Re: Student at CEI!

>[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by umbamf
    >[color=green] Hi my name is Chris and just found this board while >doing some reasearch for my final project; SQL Server Design >class. Just saying Good Job to all who make this possible.

>Here is just a test question that I have been wanting to ask:
    >What would information would you have in a database for a message >board?
    Here's a Kick Start Data Model for a Message Board on my Database Answers web site :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_...conceptual.htm

Barry Williams
    Principal Consultant
    Database Answers