Question Unanswered: Search for text in asp files doesn´t work

Windows Explorer don´t find text in asp files.
    Any idea?

I use Windows XP Professional.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Search for text in asp files doesn´t work

Originally posted by Loas
    Windows Explorer don´t find text in asp files.
    Any idea?

I use Windows XP Professional.

Thanks
    See this message posted on http://pipetalk.quest-pipelines.com/~plsql by Steve Cosner:

On my new XP I was trying to search all .sql files for the word "GRANT", but the standard Windows Explorer search tool did NOT find the file -- I had to find it manually.

It turns out there is an annoying bug associated with this. You have to get into Regedit and set up a HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > .sql > PersistentHandler key with value set to {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

Then reboot, and it works. Of course that only works for .sql files. It still misses every other file type not having the regedit extension.

Here's the link to the site explaining this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_bad_search.htm

- - - - - More info: - - - - -
    Here's the Microsoft link discussing the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309173

Microsoft says: "Windows XP does not search all file[sic] to enhance the performance of searching". I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I read this! WHY ON EARTH would I want to ignore a bunch of files when I do a search? Pretty stooopid from my point of view.

Talking

Thank you, Tony.

I did what you said and it´s working now...

I can´t beleave that Microsoft did it.

Thank you again...

My recommendation is to start using UltrAeDIT to edit asp files. This tool has the function to search thrue text files in any dir or hard disk.

http://www.ultraedit.com/
    Never try to beat your oponent. Let your oponent try to beat you.

Unhappy Re: Search for text in asp files doesn´t work

Originally posted by andrewst
    See this message posted on http://pipetalk.quest-pipelines.com/~plsql by Steve Cosner:
    Andrewst,

I did this and it´s work fine...

But today I had to reinstall the IIS in my Win Xp and the problem is back... and now I can´t to fix it.

I changed the
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asp\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} in regedit but in the first search for a Word or Phrase in the File the value changed to {eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}

Any help?

thanks in advance.

Re: Search for text in asp files doesn´t work

Originally posted by Loas
    Andrewst,

I did this and it´s work fine...

But today I had to reinstall the IIS in my Win Xp and the problem is back... and now I can´t to fix it.

I changed the
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asp\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} in regedit but in the first search for a Word or Phrase in the File the value changed to {eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}

Any help?

thanks in advance.
    Not a clue I'm afraid - I haven't even tried that registry change myself, just read about it. Maybe a third party search tool like someone suggested earlier might be a better bet.

But why the register is changed when I do a search??????

Why XP do this? How to enable this changes?

Help, please.. I´m getting crazy here...

This behaviour is totally bogus.

Below is an excerpt from: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309173

The link's topic is:

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work

(in case you need to search for it, and microsoft has moved the link)

The url has 2 methods to 'fix' this. I tried the first method, which 'fixes' the searching for a specific filetype, and it didn't work. The method below works, and it makes explorer search every file, which is probably what you want. In fact, it's probably what everyone wants and expects.

HEY MICROSOFT! WAKE UP! SEARCHING IS BROKEN IN XP, BECAUSE YOU BROKE IT! FIX IT!

Anyways, enough ranting, here is the excerpt:

To configure Windows XP to search all files no matter what the file type, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP and then turn on the Index file types with unknown extensions option.

If you use this method, Windows XP searches all file types for the text that you specify. This can affect the performance of the search functionality. To do this:

1. Click Start, and then click Search (or point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders).
    2. Click Change preferences, and then click With Indexing Service (for faster local searches).
    3. Click Change Indexing Service Settings (Advanced). Note that you do not have to turn on the Index service.
    4. On the toolbar, click Show/Hide Console Tree.
    5. In the left pane, right-click Indexing Service on Local Machine, and then click Properties.
    6. On the Generation tab, click to select the Index files with unknown extensions check box, and then click OK.
    7. Close the Indexing Service console.

Excellent! Now my XP file search is fixed and I no longer have to keep downloading 30 day trials of 3rd party search tools. Thanks.