Thread: TEXT columns

Exclamation Unanswered: TEXT columns

I've come across a situation where I have to append a value from one text column to another text column. I would usually just do this via the front end of the application, but this is a data migration and has no such luxury. I’ve experimented with text pointers and have only managed to add new data via the pointer, not append.
    Please help,
    Isaac

Re: TEXT columns

As was posted somewhere else - you can't really do this in SQL. Manipulating text columns has to be done in client apps, so if I were in your shoes I'd write a simple perl script to handle the migration for the tables that have TEXT columns.

Michael

Re: TEXT columns

I wish perl was an option, but management won't alow a new connection type to our production databases for fear of performance issues.

Management needs to get a clue.

A perl connection is the same as a C program connection (i.e. connecting with isql). It's not the connection that is the issue, it's what you do with it. (and yes, I'm sure you know this - but you might try to explain this to your management)

Michael

I'ts an argument that I've gotten into 100 times and never win. But they really do want this data migration so maybe this is my ace in the deck.

Thanks again,
    Isaac

It may very well be. Good luck!

Michael