Unanswered: SQL server error

Hello,
    I have just installed SQL server 7.0 on win2000 professional. But when i want to start the server registration it gives an error:

SQL Server registration failed because of failure displayed below. Do you wish to Register anyway?

Specified SQL Server not found
    ConnectionOpen(CreateFile())

What should i do?

Re: SQL server error

Q1 What should i do?
    A1 Some things to consider and / or check may include:

Has it been verified that the Sql Service is running? What type of connection is being used? Is security configured for the connection being attempted? Is it possible to connect useing Query Analyzer locally (if not, verify that the correct protocol, port, etc. is being accessed)?

{More detatiled information (including what has been attempted, etc.), makes it easier to provide more useful / helpful feedback.}

Sorry,

But I have not started anything with SQL server. There isn't sql server on my machine it says.

One of my friends said, win2000 professional doesn't support sql server 7.0 fully. You could install only desktop edition, and desktop edition is not a server, or something like this. And he said you must install win2000 server too.

Is it true? Maybe my problem is this. If not please tell me simply again, what should i do?

Well, what you said is really difficult for me. Because i have never worked with sql server.

Re: Sorry,

RE:
    But I have not started anything with SQL server. There isn't sql server on my machine it says.
    Question I
    So in Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs there is no Sql Server? (If not, it likely is Not installed just as you've stated.)

RE:
    One of my friends said, win2000 professional doesn't support sql server 7.0 fully. You could install only desktop edition, and desktop edition is not a server, or something like this. And he said you must install win2000 server too.
    Q1 Is it true?
    A1 There are some limitations, the desktop editions are not as scalable, and workstation OS are typically limited in the number of connections they support.

RE:
    Q2 Maybe my problem is this. If not please tell me simply again, what should i do?
    A2 Describe your requirements / needs more clearly. The desktop editions work fine for many applications and / or purposes, and may suit your needs well (or not).

RE:
    Well, what you said is really difficult for me. Because i have never worked with sql server.
    If in fact Sql Server was not installed on the machine; none of the suggestions apply.

Ok

Firstly thank you DBA,
    Yes, SQL server installed on my computer. And i can open Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer and others. But before i start the sql server i must register a sql server, isn't it?

I have a book which written by Rebecca M. Riordan. And i followed it step by step. Installed SQL server 7.0 on my computer. It says "You must register a server. Right click on the MS SQL Server from Console Tree in Enterprise manager. Select Register New SQL Server and choose your server " bla bla bla.

According the book that should be a server on my machine, but doesn't.

Well, for a long time i wanna be a host. And publish my itnernet site myself. So i think i'd better learn about sql server.

Thanks again...
    Last edited by Werdem; 01-20-03 at 08:14.

Re: Ok

RE:
    Firstly thank you DBA, Yes, SQL server installed on my computer. And i can open Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer and others. I have a book which written by Rebecca M. Riordan. And i followed it step by step. Installed SQL server 7.0 on my computer. It says "You must register a server. Right click on the MS SQL Server from Console Tree in Enterprise manager. Select Register New SQL Server and choose your server " bla bla bla.
    Q1 But before i start the sql server i must register a sql server, isn't it?
    You are welcome.

A1 No. In this context, "Registering in Enterprise Manager" = "Give Enterprise Manager the server identification infromation and account and security information necessary to accesss and use the Sql Server IN ENTERPRISE MANAGER"

Q2 According the book that should be a server on my machine, but doesn't.
    A2 It is possible (indeed likely) that the Sql Service simply is not started on the Win2000 Professional machine. The Sql Service must be started to interact with Sql Server in any meaningful way, (other than with the Sql Server Service Manager tool).

a Start the Sql Service with the Sql Server Service Manager, (Start--> Programs--> Microsoft SQL Server--> Service Manager). {If the Service Manager is not there, the executable may generally be found in a path similar to: ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe")}

b Verify that Sql Services are running. View the appropriate display on the Sql Server Service Manager. {Or, on a Win2000 Professional machine one may also type the following (and then press enter) in a "dos" command window (Start--> Run--> cmd): Net Start}

c Once the Sql Service IS verified to be running; THEN attempt to register the Sql Server instance on the Win2000 Professional machine in Enterprise Manager.

RE:
    Q3 So i think i'd better learn about sql server.
    A3 That is probabaly a good idea. Desktop editions of Sql Server work fine for learning about sql server. (And it is possible to support low volume itnernet sites with desktop editions of Sql Server.)
    Last edited by DBA; 01-20-03 at 11:57.

Error :)

I found sqlmangr.exe and tried to start server. There was only my computer name in a textbox which list server names. And i clicked on the start button and it gave this error:
    This service control action cannot be completed as no service has been selected.

I thought, "Maybe i made a mistake as installing". And tried to install again and it gives this alert:

The Enterprise Edition Server component cannat be installed on Windows NT Workstation using this CD. Only client components will be avaible for installation.

I think my problem is this. Maybe it gave this error before that too. But i didn't mention it. If so, i'll be sorry as spend your time.

Re: Error :)

RE:
    The Enterprise Edition Server component cannot be installed on Windows NT Workstation using this CD. Only client components will be available for installation.

I think my problem is this. Maybe it gave this error before that too. But i didn't mention it. If so, I'll be sorry as spend your time.
    That could well be the issue, it certainly would explain why the client tools are present. To verify that there is in fact no Sql Service present to run, check the installed Win 2k Pro machine Services. For example:

Start: --> Settings: --> Control Panel: --> Administrative Tools: --> Services: -->

If there is are no Services named something like:

a MSSQL... and / or
    b SQLAgent...

Then, (if neither is present), the server components probably were NOT installed on the Windows 2k Pro workstation, (as suspected). In that case, procure the correct CD media to install the desktop version, and try again. You may wish to consider taking screen shots of any error messages and pasting them into wordpad or paint files to document what occurrs (for later review). If the install goes well, one may always delete any such documentation, (but when an install has issues, that kind of practice may save one lots of time and trouble).

Smile Thanks

Hi again,
    I solved my problem.

Sorry, I said you, "I'm using Desktop Edition" but it didn't so. (

I changed my operating system. I installed win2000 server. But my problem continued. And i saw, i had must do another thing for install Desktop Edition. And i did it. Now i'm using win2000 server and SQL 7.0 Destop Edition on it. It looks well.

Thanks for your suggestions and helps...
    Last edited by Werdem; 02-02-03 at 09:46.