Thread: Input Mask

Question Unanswered: Input Mask

I have been trying to create an input mask for email address in access and I am not having any luck at all is there anyone out there that can help. (os - is xp / MS Office 2000)

mfix_42@hotmail.com

Re: Input Mask

It will never work.

if I summarize how email address looks like:

1. no spaces inside
    2. no special characters - this has two parts - special characters for the name and very restrictive set of characters for Domain Name (even underscore is restricted).
    3. there has to be @ inside the string only and only one @
    4. for internet mail address, there has to be top domain at the right side devided by DOT

if you want to get closer, split it into two fields (name and domain) or split it into three fields (name domain top domain where top domain will be combo box).

I would recommend Validation Function instead of Input Mask. If you want to be SUPER close, you can validate domain name using NSLOOKUP.

jiri

Re: Input Mask

[QUOTE]Originally posted by playernovis
    It will never work.

if I summarize how email address looks like:

1. no spaces inside
    2. no special characters - this has two parts - special characters for the name and very restrictive set of characters for Domain Name (even underscore is restricted).
    3. there has to be @ inside the string only and only one @
    4. for internet mail address, there has to be top domain at the right side devided by DOT

if you want to get closer, split it into two fields (name and domain) or split it into three fields (name domain top domain where top domain will be combo box).

I would recommend Validation Function instead of Input Mask. If you want to be SUPER close, you can validate domain name using NSLOOKUP.

jiri
    [/QUOT

Thank you for your quick responce !!!!