Exclamation Kazaa from behind Packet Shaper

I've been trying to think of ways to get around to using Kazaa as I'm behind a packet shaper. Generally kazaa is not educational, so it is a good idea to block it from students. But as a few of us, media majors need some media for class. I did mention this to a system's admin. and he agreed with me, but told me it was out of his control.
    Anyway, the most interesting thing I've come up with is to do something similar in the movie, Ocean's Eleven where all I'd have to do is put a wireless router in front of the packet shaper. Darn, I forgot my ski mask at home. Other than that, I don't think that would be a very good idea. hehe
    So my thoughts are, how can I reshape kazaa's packets? HTTP? I really don't know. I'm sort of new to networking and such (I'm more of the 3D computer animation type). I was wondering if anyone could help me with this concept... offer some suggestions. If it helps to add to the equation of my problem: I have a friend who is willing to let me connect to his computer (that doesn't have restrictions) so I don't know if it would be possible to connect to his computer through acceptable connections and then have his computer use the kazaa network.
    I appreciate any input. Thank you :-)
    -Evan

Kazaa, Morpheus, Xolox, Bearshare and some other softwares use the same protocol called Gnutella (Gnutella is free very easy to implement protocol). This protocol uses one target TCP port (each app has different port) so if you block that port, you will restrict communication for that app - KaZaa uses port 1214

if you want to allow few users to use Kazaa, then you have two ways. First is to know internal IP addresses of computers you will use for Kazaa and allow these IPs to use KaZaa port or you can use PROXY server and let users to use name and password. KaZaa supports SOCKS5 proxy system.

note: there are some companies who allow you to run any app which supports SOCKS through standard www port 80 to their servers and from their servers to that specific server, so anybody from your school can use this software and use KaZaa even if you block Kazaa port 1214. There are ways how to block it, but it is not super easy forever solution... look at www.http-tunnel.com and many others....

Many people will hate me for this, but I don't see any other reason for KaZaa than to share music and video (mostly stolen). If you are serious about exchanging information, then you use really different not so easy to hack software.

jiri

If port 22 (ssh) is allowed, you can use one of the many ssh clients available that provide built in secure port forwarding.

SecureCRT is a very good one, or there's putty if you want a free one.

You just have to have your friend set up an ssh server that allows forwarding (most do) on his 'open' machine and configure your client with the destination port that his server should forward to.

I have to agree with playernovis on the motives for using kazaa, but that's not for to judge.

kazaa motives

Sure, its illegal to download music and such programs but how else are we supposed to practice (if our school doesn't have enough to provide). If I wanted to make a movie (for class/for practice) I would have to write, direct, edit, compose music, etc.. etc.. basically do all these things to make a movie with either basic software, or wait until a good machine running good software is available (students always hog the good machines). If I'm not making a profit, and practicing to become a good film director to see if I can merge quality music with nicely composited video (integrated with 3D animation), then I don't see that as such a horrible thing.
    Once I've learned such techniques and I'm out of college, there will be the music composers to hire, the screen writers to write, the postproducers to composite, etc...

I can compose a little music, and I do have experience in directing and editing, and can write (scripts) fairly well, its more than a job to put all these components together in a week.

Maybe it is wrong to steal music for most purposes, but I don't see it as such a bad thing for educational purposes. ..just my thought anyway. I could be wrong, and I know some will disagree.

thanks

Originally posted by Paul
    You just have to have your friend set up an ssh server that allows forwarding (most do) on his 'open' machine and configure your client with the destination port that his server should forward to.
    Thank you Paul, I will try this. As I said, I'm new to networking and what playernovis wrote sounded greek to me. Your way is understandable, but once I get this software, I have a feeling I'm going to be a little confused as to setting up a server, and connecting to it... especiallly with what you call "forwarding." yikes! Controlling my friends computer through a server to connect to another server (kazaa)! My goodness, I hope its not a lot of programming. Wouldn't it be lovely if I could have a window that showed his desktop, and I could move his mouse around and connect to kazaa and download stuff onto his computer, to click-and-drag onto my computer. lol. I have a feeling I'm dreaming quite a bit.
    Thank you for your push in the right direction.
    Evan

I don't know what is greek on SOCK PROXY. It is the best and really ONLY real possible universal solution out there! Every bigger company uses it!

Even KaZaa company recommends direct port or SOCKS!

it would take you 2 minutes to install FREE www.http-tunnel.com - it uses SOCKS and the fast that your port 80 (www port) is opened, so your admin does not need to setup anything.

I didn't say that KaZaa and other softwares are bad, but I don't really see many places where to use it. If you want other people to see your work, you can setup free web page and post everything there, you can exchange files and messages through message forums like this really cool dbforums.com, there are tons of free web sites for sharing music, photos and animations..... check some web site about security, you will see that it is not difficult to crack KaZaa and that there are ways how to pass to your PC virus.

jiri
    Last edited by playernovis; 01-21-03 at 00:51.

I downloaded that software and it tested fine, but for me kazaa still wont connect to the server and i know this school used packet shaper on the network as well. So any advice? it will connect and i can search but it wont download anything moves to need more sources? i dont know what settings or ports to change anything to
    Last edited by runne1738; 09-16-03 at 22:55.

Originally posted by playernovis
    Kazaa, Morpheus, Xolox, Bearshare and some other softwares use the same protocol called Gnutella (Gnutella is free very easy to implement protocol). This protocol uses one target TCP port (each app has different port) so if you block that port, you will restrict communication for that app - KaZaa uses port 1214

if you want to allow few users to use Kazaa, then you have two ways. First is to know internal IP addresses of computers you will use for Kazaa and allow these IPs to use KaZaa port or you can use PROXY server and let users to use name and password. KaZaa supports SOCKS5 proxy system.

note: there are some companies who allow you to run any app which supports SOCKS through standard www port 80 to their servers and from their servers to that specific server, so anybody from your school can use this software and use KaZaa even if you block Kazaa port 1214. There are ways how to block it, but it is not super easy forever solution... look at www.http-tunnel.com and many others....

jiri
    Hello,
    My company uses Microsoft Proxy 2.0, can you tell me how to configure it to block the Kazaa?

Thanks and regards,