Unanswered: DB2 7 trial install difficulties

Allright here is an absolute newbie to db2 issue.

I purchased one of the DB2 fundamentals for Dummies because it had the trial 7.x CDs. My focus is to take a looksee at db2 with a focus on the OLAP. I am keen on getting a little taste of the Essbase that is part of the package.

I eagerly installed the db2 and OLAP starter kit on an NT 4.0 SP 5 and things seemed fine at the beginning, but I received a few errors on install related to 'iwh2regi.exe.'

When install finished and a reboot brought up the first steps, I tried to create the sample databases. I received errors. When I looked at the license, it says it has expired. Ultimately, I downloaded the entire 7.2 PE from IBM, thinking this would solve the problem. Same errors.

If I install db2 8.x trial edition, I receive NO errors. This would be fine but 'ME WANTS OLAP FOR FREE EVALUATION.'

db2admin is in Administrators groups and all special access rights have been granted. Can anyone help me figure thiso out? I have had zeor luck with IBM site and await a response. If anyone here has the smarts, I am all eyes.

Thanks!
    shoffer

Re: DB2 7 trial install difficulties

Hi,

The error was in "data warehouse" part of installation. Do you need to test the "data warehouse" also? OLAP should run well. OLAP is independent product.

You probably got the error message when you tried to make a data warehouse sample database. If you only want to test an OLAP you don't need the data warehouse sample database. You must just create OLAP sample database.

Just verify if OLAP server is installed. Check Windows services | DB2 OLAP server.

Run Integration server desktop (start | programs etc) and try to connect to server.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty.

Originally posted by shoffer
    Allright here is an absolute newbie to db2 issue.

I purchased one of the DB2 fundamentals for Dummies because it had the trial 7.x CDs. My focus is to take a looksee at db2 with a focus on the OLAP. I am keen on getting a little taste of the Essbase that is part of the package.

I eagerly installed the db2 and OLAP starter kit on an NT 4.0 SP 5 and things seemed fine at the beginning, but I received a few errors on install related to 'iwh2regi.exe.'

When install finished and a reboot brought up the first steps, I tried to create the sample databases. I received errors. When I looked at the license, it says it has expired. Ultimately, I downloaded the entire 7.2 PE from IBM, thinking this would solve the problem. Same errors.

If I install db2 8.x trial edition, I receive NO errors. This would be fine but 'ME WANTS OLAP FOR FREE EVALUATION.'

db2admin is in Administrators groups and all special access rights have been granted. Can anyone help me figure thiso out? I have had zeor luck with IBM site and await a response. If anyone here has the smarts, I am all eyes.

Thanks!
    shoffer

As for the Licence issue, I think IBM gives only the laterst version for trial purposes.

Open the Licence Centre(in tools option of Control Centre) and check the end-date of your license. Alternatively, you can check the licence from a Windows prompt using 'db2licm -l' command

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

The error was in "data warehouse" part of installation. Do you need to test the "data warehouse" also? OLAP should run well. OLAP is independent product.

You probably got the error message when you tried to make a data warehouse sample database. If you only want to test an OLAP you don't need the data warehouse sample database. You must just create OLAP sample database.

Just verify if OLAP server is installed. Check Windows services | DB2 OLAP server.

Run Integration server desktop (start | programs etc) and try to connect to server.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty.

Thanks Sathyaram,

The expiration issue is also quite odd. There is no date of expiry, it merely says expired.

The DB2 book is not that old; do you think IBM puts a year limit on when the program can be installed and run for 90 days?

Secondly, IBM still offers version 7 as a download on their site for 'personal development.'

I would be suprised if I am the only one experiencing this. I would have been upset the Dummies book was purchased for full price and the software was expired.

There is a request for response on this issue from IBM within the week. When the answer arrives, it will be posted here. Meanwhile, anyone with insight is encouraged to chime in...this sort of issue drives me nuts.

cheers,
    Shoffer
    Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    As for the Licence issue, I think IBM gives only the laterst version for trial purposes.

Open the Licence Centre(in tools option of Control Centre) and check the end-date of your license. Alternatively, you can check the licence from a Windows prompt using 'db2licm -l' command

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Search your CD or the installed folders for *.lic . This file, if it exists, should have the 'Expiry' date and I believe it will be the last day of Dec 02.

Well, the PDE I believe is a free copy without any expiry date .

Cheers

Sathyaram

Thanks Sathyaram,

The expiration issue is also quite odd. There is no date of expiry, it merely says expired.

The DB2 book is not that old; do you think IBM puts a year limit on when the program can be installed and run for 90 days?

Secondly, IBM still offers version 7 as a download on their site for 'personal development.'

I would be suprised if I am the only one experiencing this. I would have been upset the Dummies book was purchased for full price and the software was expired.

There is a request for response on this issue from IBM within the week. When the answer arrives, it will be posted here. Meanwhile, anyone with insight is encouraged to chime in...this sort of issue drives me nuts.

cheers,
    Shoffer

And now

Well now it is even odder!
    I removed all traces of the db2. Shut down the computer and replaced the battery on the board. The date/time was going goofy.
    Now when I check on the license, the whole page is greyed out!

Shoffer

Thanks but it did not solve

Grofaty,

Thanks, but same issue. The database that is supposed to be accessible is not.

Error 2003000: ODBC error[IBM]{CLI Driver} SQL 1013N The database alias or database name "DWCTRLDB" could not be found SQLSTATE = 42705

There appears to be something preventing me from creating the databases.

shoffer

Re: Thanks but it did not solve

Hi,

The message you get is when you try to access the data warehouse control database (DWCTRLDB). You probably don't have ODBC driver configured propery.

Go to menu Start | Programs | IBM DB2 | Client Configuration Assistent.
    Mark your database (column Database alias). Click Properties button then check Register database for ODBC - As a system data source. Then OK to exit.

Hope this helps.
    Grofaty

Grofaty,

Thanks, but same issue. The database that is supposed to be accessible is not.

Error 2003000: ODBC error[IBM]{CLI Driver} SQL 1013N The database alias or database name "DWCTRLDB" could not be found SQLSTATE = 42705

There appears to be something preventing me from creating the databases.

shoffer

None to find

Grofaty,

This is part of the problem. There do not appear to be ANY databases created during install. Any databases I ATTEMPT to create after db2 install, give errors [I/O] and the like.
    I have reviewed all user permissions and used the default db2admin so as not to confuse anything.

Thanks for the continuing attempts...I am knocking myself out over this one.

shoffer

Re: None to find

Hi,

Try this:
    1. Create user db2admin in Windows with administrative rights!
    2. Uninstall DB2
    3. With Windows Explorer manualy delete all folders that DB2 installation has created (if you installed in default folders then delete c:\db2; c:\db2log; c:\program files\sqllib).
    Deleting all folders before "one more time installaction" is very important.
    4. Install DB2 with db2admin user.
    5. If you would like just to test OLAP and DB2 you can during
    installation procedure select Custom installation and uncheck DB2 Query Patroller Client and Data Warehouse Tools. This will speed up install procedure.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Grofaty,

This is part of the problem. There do not appear to be ANY databases created during install. Any databases I ATTEMPT to create after db2 install, give errors [I/O] and the like.
    I have reviewed all user permissions and used the default db2admin so as not to confuse anything.

Thanks for the continuing attempts...I am knocking myself out over this one.

shoffer

You were right

Grofaty,

This worked, but why? I have performed these steps three times previous. The only difference is the unchecking of
    DB2 Query Patroller Client and Data
    Warehouse Tools

Do you have some resources I can read and research as to why this is an issue?

What am I missing out on by not installing DB2 Query Patroller Client and Data
    Warehouse Tools?

Thanks a ton! You have made my week.

Yours.
    shoffer

Re: You were right

Hi,

You wrote that you want to test OLAP server functions.

Query Patroller Client is just a client of Query Patroller Server witch is packed inside Warehouse Manager product. So if you don't have a server then you don't need client.

Warehouse Tools are used to clean and transform data from operational sistems to the data warehouse. This tool you don't need if you just would like to test OLAP server.

I don't know why you had a problem with installation. I have never had problems with installation of DB2. Sorry, I don't know of any resources you could read and research of that problem.

But if you would like to read something about OLAP you can get all information you like at following page http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/d...p/library.html

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty.

Grofaty,

This worked, but why? I have performed these steps three times previous. The only difference is the unchecking of
    DB2 Query Patroller Client and Data
    Warehouse Tools

Do you have some resources I can read and research as to why this is an issue?

What am I missing out on by not installing DB2 Query Patroller Client and Data
    Warehouse Tools?

Thanks a ton! You have made my week.

Yours.
    shoffer