Wink Unanswered: RecordSet Classes vrs Forms Design Question?

I've developed an application which processes New HR Applicants and I currently have all of my RecordSet to (Tables) process inside the Forms. Basically I do all of my transaction process behind each form as needed frequently touching multiple tables.

A few Questions:
    1) Does the RecordSet Row lock just that Record or does it effect the whole table ?
    1) Is there a possibility that with multiple users there will be update record contentions with the Transaction (RecordSet) process inside the forms.?
    2) I would like to move all table transactions inside unique classes ie.. ApplicantClass and pass it what’s needed so that all update/add/deletes is handled in one place... Is this a better design for transaction prcessing in VBA ?

I'm a Java / old PowerBuilder programmer and I understand how to work in these environments but not as savvy in VBA. I just don't what to deploy my application to my client and have Errors where someone has previously updated this record message. Have to be able for ~15 users hitting the application.

Thanks

Re: RecordSet Classes vrs Forms Design Question?

Access locks records by "database page" (2048 bytes I believe). So if 4 records fit on a database page, it will lock all 4.

Wink Re: RecordSet Classes vrs Forms Design Question?

Originally posted by FirstAndGoal4
    Access locks records by "database page" (2048 bytes I believe). So if 4 records fit on a database page, it will lock all 4.
    Sorry don't understand.... Are you talking about in memory Access uses a concept of Database pages as it grabs a record for Add/Insert/Delete ?... If I have a record length of 1024 then it would lock two records?....... I've heard of Data Access Pages but not a Database page.... I use ORACLE and DBA allot but I guess I don't understand ACCESS....

Some DBMS's can lock a single record. Access locks whatever fits on a page.

Some DBMS's can lock a single record. Access locks whatever fits on a page.

Well I've found were the Access Tools/Options Default Record Locking can be set to No Locks/All Records/Edited Record..... I've chose the Edited Record..... and there is an option for Open Database using Record Level Locking.... which overides the Default of Page level.

I guess this is a new option in Access 2002... anyway any thoughts on were to utilize the RecordSet / In forms vrs creating classes....and then performing the recordSet .?

Thanks

Originally posted by Wlinks
    Well I've found were the Access Tools/Options Default Record Locking can be set to No Locks/All Records/Edited Record..... I've chose the Edited Record..... and there is an option for Open Database using Record Level Locking.... which overides the Default of Page level.

I guess this is a new option in Access 2002... anyway any thoughts on were to utilize the RecordSet / In forms vrs creating classes....and then performing the recordSet .?

Thanks
    Pretty hard for me to make any recommendations since I really don't know you app. Seems that if you are going to go through all the trouble of creating classes and handling data access at that level, maybe you should be looking to use something outside of Access....

Pretty hard for me to make any recommendations since I really don't know you app. Seems that if you are going to go through all the trouble of creating classes and handling data access at that level, maybe you should be looking to use something outside of Access....
    Believe me Access was never my choice... I'm a JAVA guy and I just fell on this job to create an HR app for a small company.... I know ORACLE DB2 and SQL Server well but they didn't want to stray from ACCESS because they "know" how to use it..... Their better off with a pure VB to SQL Server solution.....

My transaction question was really for cleaner code and maybe adapting a good standard for using VBA/Access verse having multypule transaction (RecordSet) Code throughout the application when allot if it is calling the same tables.