Question proper setup-txn tbl with 2 children

I have a transaction table. It is basically txn date, txn id, txn type, etc.
    There are multiple txn types. If the txn type is "C" for cash, i have a line items table for cash type pieces of information i.e. currency type, amount, etc. If the txn type is c"R"edit, I have a line items table for things specific to a c"R"edit type transaction. My question is: I can't remember designing (in 3rd normal form), this type of relationship before. Both line items tables are related to the parent by the same field. Is this OK? I want to make sure I don't create a mess for myself when I try to implement this with a user interface, etc.
    Thanks,
    John

Re: proper setup-txn tbl with 2 children

Originally posted by john11
    I have a transaction table. It is basically txn date, txn id, txn type, etc.
    There are multiple txn types. If the txn type is "C" for cash, i have a line items table for cash type pieces of information i.e. currency type, amount, etc. If the txn type is c"R"edit, I have a line items table for things specific to a c"R"edit type transaction. My question is: I can't remember designing (in 3rd normal form), this type of relationship before. Both line items tables are related to the parent by the same field. Is this OK? I want to make sure I don't create a mess for myself when I try to implement this with a user interface, etc.
    Thanks,
    John
    Yes, that sounds OK. Your transaction table has subtypes (cash transaction, credit transaction, ...) and each subtype has its own line items table.

Smile Thanks for the input

Thanks Tony

Smile Thanks for the input

Thanks Tony