How to store configuration data?

Like for example "Current working date", or "Default currency" or "Inventory LIFO/FIFO" - the unique variables, which are used for different purposes (like various configuration options) ?

The only way I see it is to create a special table , and only using one row with huge amount of attributes... I dont like that to acess those parameters I need to handle this like another table (therefore using complex ADO queries) ,while I really dont need the table like structure, and possible multiple rows in that table will only lead to possible bugs.

Re: How to store configuration data?

Originally posted by DarkMadMax
    Like for example "Current working date", or "Default currency" or "Inventory LIFO/FIFO" - the unique variables, which are used for different purposes (like various configuration options) ?

The only way I see it is to create a special table , and only using one row with huge amount of attributes... I dont like that to acess those parameters I need to handle this like another table (therefore using complex ADO queries) ,while I really dont need the table like structure, and possible multiple rows in that table will only lead to possible bugs.
    It is quite common to have a table called something like SYSTEM_PARAMETERS or SYSTEM_VALUES with a structure like:

Name Value
    ---- -----
    CURR_WORK_DATE 01-JAN-2003
    DEFAULT_CURRENCY GBP

You can hide the table behind a function, so that access is like:

v_currency := system_value( 'DEFAULT_CURRENCY');

If you want these values to be accessible from within a client application and without repeated calls to the database server, you could perhaps pre-load them into client variables at the start of a session.

A benefit of having them in a table rather than in some application file is that they are protected by the DBMS backup and security like any other data.

I would also include the following table, between the two you should be able to store any configutration data needed. I often use the following to manage stateless processes.

Code:
    CREATE TABLE dbo.SystemParameters (
      RecordID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL 
    , Description varchar (35) NOT NULL 
    , DateOne datetime NULL 
    , DateTwo datetime NULL 
    , IntOne int NULL 
    , IntTwo int NULL 
    , CharOne varchar (50)  NULL 
    , CONSTRAINT SystemParameters_PK_00 PRIMARY KEY  NONCLUSTERED (RecordID) WITH  FILLFACTOR = 80
    , CONSTRAINT SystemParameters_UK_00 UNIQUE  CLUSTERED (Description) WITH  FILLFACTOR = 80)
    or with the advent of the sql_variant data type you could have:
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE dbo.SystemParameters (
      RecordID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL 
    , Description varchar (35) NOT NULL 
    , ValueOne sql_variant NULL 
    , ValueTwo sql_variant NULL 
    , CONSTRAINT SystemParameters_PK_00 PRIMARY KEY  NONCLUSTERED (RecordID) WITH  FILLFACTOR = 80
    , CONSTRAINT SystemParameters_UK_00 UNIQUE  CLUSTERED (Description) WITH  FILLFACTOR = 80)
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Great thanks.