Unanswered: Please Help: Creating Secure Access Database

Hi all,

I am an admitted newbie to Access, and I could really use your help.

I am trying to create a database in Access to hold various information about a set of trials we are conducting. Due to government regulations (21 CFR Part 11), the database I use has to be "double" password protected. For me that means that not only does the database need to be password protected, but user-level access must also be password protected.

I know about setting the password for the database itself, but I am looking for good suggestions on how to go about setting up user level accounts with various Read/Write/Modify parameters as well. When I have tried to do this in the past, every database I launched from my machine had the same user login requirements, which leads me to believe that you were setting up accoutns for Access itself and not the single database as I had thought.

I am concerned that If I put the user account information into a table in the database, that it would be easy for someone to change their priveleges, even if I hide the tables view on startup (ctrl-Shift override).

I had thought of writing a small VB program to determine user access info from another database to control the main one, but I am unsure how to pass the permissions to allow from the VB program to Access once its launched.

Thanks.

Re: Please Help: Creating Secure Access Database

The user level securities are applied to the database that they are set on. Once the correct MDA/MDW file is selected and the securities are set the database will not function without the correct password.

For an indepth tutorial re database securities see the knowledge base on microsoft.com.

Thanks. That information should hopefully lead me in the right direction.

A simple solution is this.

Go to RUN and type WRKGADM

This will bring up the Microsoft Access Security Screen. You will need to hit CREATE to make a NEW WORKGROUP. This workgroup will be a list of users and their access.

Fill in the 3 blocks (id can be anything) and hit OK. When you do this, it asks you where you want to save the file. Save it somewhere you can remember. Make sure the extension is .mdw

Once you have done this, let me know and I will tell you where to go from there. You will be able to add users and define what each user can and cannot do.