Unanswered: Convert Access 2000 to VB

Is there an "easy" way to convert an Access 2000 app to VB6? I have researched the apps that existand have found mixed reviews, so I'm reluctant to spend $$ on them. Any suggestions?

Re: Convert Access 2000 to VB

I have never heard of such a tool. If you want to do it without a tool, here are some thoughts.

It should be possible if you would have only tables, queries, macros and modules. The macros can be converted in Access 2000 to VBA-code modules. All of the code in the modules can then be copied to a newly defined module in VB. You then have to write or modify code in VB to connect to the tables and queries in the Access-database.

As soon as you have forms in Access, with or without code, it becomes much more complicated. Forms in VB are linked to a database, Access in this case, with OLE DB and the corresponding controls, which differs greatly from the mechanism between an Access form and an Access table in one and the same database. It looks to me that you have to rebuild the forms (and reports too!) in VB.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ad Dieleman.

I was thinking the same thing. I do currently have several forms and reports in my db. However, my next question to you is how do I create a report in VB? I know it may sound like a very basic question, but I'm just starting to learn true VB at this point and several of my reports ar multiple pages (some with different information and/or report styles that are linked by a specific operation) so I have not as of yet attempted to create one to see how it's done.

Thanks for your help

You could try to use the report designer that is comprised in VB6 (at least in our Enterprise version). I've never used it, it didn't really appeal to me, but it should work for not too complicated reports. Office is always present on the PC's that execute my applications so that I would call an Access report from within a VB6 program.