Thread: Ora-01410

Question Unanswered: Ora-01410

This is truly strange. Within our application, we have an auditing mechanism with records every insert and update with triggers. A row level trigger records the ROWID of the record modified into a Package variable. An after statement trigger reads this ROWID from the package variable and selects the database based on it. This has been working perfectly for about a year, until this week. Now the application is throwing ORA-01410: invalid ROWID. The errors are not consistent at all. In fact they seem pretty varied. It doesn't happen on EVERY insert / update and it doesn't happen on every table which uses this mechanism.

The only thing we know about that was done before these errors started was a full database export with CONSISTENT=N. The export was kicked off and 10 mins later was the first records instance of this error. I'm having a hard time dealing with how the export could cause this, but the correlation seems too significant. We've tried fixing the problem by ANALYZE TABLE <table_name> VALIDATE STRUCTURE on the tables in question. No errors were recorded and we are still having the same problems. Our next idea is to rebuild the tables in question.

So, anyone have any idea what's going on? And does anyone have a better solution?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Ora-01410

ROWIDs can change after an update if the table is partitioned and allows row movement, or on an index-organised table. I don't know of any other reason. It would be safer to use the primary key rather than the ROWID.

Originally posted by andrewst
    ROWIDs can change after an update if the table is partitioned and allows row movement, or on an index-organised table. I don't know of any other reason. It would be safer to use the primary key rather than the ROWID.
    Thanks for the response. Neither are the case here (partitioned tables or IOTs).

Thanks again.

Originally posted by andrewst
    Thanks for the response. Neither are the case here (partitioned tables or IOTs).

Thanks again.