Unanswered: Creating database - SQL1039C

I am getting a SQL1039C error message when I attempt to create the sample database. Everything appears normal including base features, such as control center, come up. However, when attempting to do something useful like creating my own database I receive this error. This happens with 7.2 and 8.1. Everything works well when I reinstall 7.1 except that the features I wish to explore are absent. The platform is win2000 formatted as NTFS. The error description appears to be at odds with what I'm observing - especially when I return to 7.1. It is very persistant - meaning no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall. Any ideas?

Same issue

I have been fighting with this issue, too.
    I found a cheap version of DB2 fundamentals for Dummies and attempted to install 7.1. My overriding purposes was to use the essbase functionality in exploring OLAP. The install goes, OK. There are some errors which seemed to be related to licence weirdness, but all seemed to run smooth, until I attempted to create sample databases in 'First Steps.'
    I scrapped 7.1 and downloaded 8. This worked flawlessly, but it does not include the OLAP Starter Kit. I then tried the PE edition 7.2 and I am back to the same problem. I get I/O error SQLSTATE = 58031 SQL1039C for databse 1

SQLSTATE=1245035 native error code: -1039 for database 2

200028 SQLSTATE 4226491 002 NEX -1039 for Database #3

I keep searching.
    shoffer

Wink Size matters

I have just had the same error while trying to create a database. I was creating the database on the default drive C: which had 6037MB of space and I was getting SQL1039C.

When I tried again and changed the drive to D: which had 21159 MB, it worked.

Interesting. Could you go to the Command Window (DB2) and do a "list database directory" and "list database directory on X:", where X: is the drive you're trying to create the database on?

If that doesn't show any new info, might try dropping and re-creating the instance:

db2idrop <instancename>
    db2icrt <instancename>

(Get the dbm cfg before doing this)
    (The instance name on Windows is probably DB2, that's the default)

jono
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

I got the same error, when creating a DB2 v7.2 db on Windows 2000 (e: drive)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>db2 "CREATE DATABASE TEST ON E: USING CO
    DESET IBM-1252 TERRITORY US COLLATE USING SYSTEM"
    SQL1039C An I/O error occurred while accessing the database directory.
    SQLSTATE=58031
    However, the same created on c: drive

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>db2 "CREATE DATABASE TEST ON C: USING CO
    DESET IBM-1252 TERRITORY US COLLATE USING SYSTEM"
    DB20000I The CREATE DATABASE command completed successfully.

After, removing the DB2 directory in e:\ created by DB2 v8, db creation on e was also successful.

E:\>db2 "CREATE DATABASE TEST2 ON e: USING CODESET IBM-1252 TERRITORY US COLLATE
    USING SYSTEM"
    DB20000I The CREATE DATABASE command completed successfully.

E:\>
    HTH