Thread: Access and MDF

Unanswered: Access and MDF

Hi - trying to understand some basics here. I have two large files one is a MDF extension the other is a LDF extension. I have learned that these are SQL DataBases. I would like to use of them through MS Access. Here's my problem... I have no clue where to begin. I have little experience with Access and none with SQL. I don't even know if I have to set up a Access DB before trying to look at the info in the MDF file. The Access help talks about ODBC drivers. Can someone help me just understand the concept of what needs to be done. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Humble before you....

Re: Access and MDF

Originally posted by noviceatbest
    Hi - trying to understand some basics here. I have two large files one is a MDF extension the other is a LDF extension. I have learned that these are SQL DataBases. I would like to use of them through MS Access. Here's my problem... I have no clue where to begin. I have little experience with Access and none with SQL. I don't even know if I have to set up a Access DB before trying to look at the info in the MDF file. The Access help talks about ODBC drivers. Can someone help me just understand the concept of what needs to be done. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Humble before you....
    ok.....i hope u were not just given these files, but that they are located on a server/strong desktop that has a version of SQL server installed. you will need to know the database name and a user name that has permisions to the data that you need. If you open access and go to File/get external data/link tables then go to file type and select odbc. you will then need to create an odbc connection using your server name user name and password, after it is created select that odbc and supply the password again. Then you will be propted with all of the tables your id has access to highlight the table you need, make suere save password is checked and click ok. now you have access to the data on teh sql server
    Jim

Jim - thanks for the info... worst case though. Just given the three files. one is a txt file with a name of attach. the other is an MDF extension and the last one is LDF. The txt file has instructions on how to attach them to mssql 7. We do not have sql as far as I know which is why I want to use access.

Jim - thanks for the info... worst case though. Just given the three files. one is a txt file with a name of attach. the other is an MDF extension and the last one is LDF. The txt file has instructions on how to attach them to mssql 7. We do not have sql as far as I know which is why I want to use access.
    I hate to say but you are screwed. access cant open those files. a bit of good news though SQL 7 is cheaper than SQL 2000
    Jim

Usally I enjoy it more when that happens. Does anyone know of a service location that might convert it for me?

Usally I enjoy it more when that happens. Does anyone know of a service location that might convert it for me?
    convert.....may not be an option. If the SQL database is larger than 1 gig then access cant handel it.........
    Jim

its 250M and once we have it in access we will eliminate a lot of the info. BTW thanks for the help.

its 250M and once we have it in access we will eliminate a lot of the info. BTW thanks for the help.
    I wish i could help more...i have a sql 7 server...but i dont think i can get this request by the upers
    Jim

Jim - you have been of great help. Thank you again. Michelle

As from Access 2000, you will also find MSDE on the installation CD's.
    MSDE is a light desktop version of SQL-server, without a proper user interface, but... it will allow you to run your mdf-files!

So install MDSE, start the MSDE-engine, and you should be able to connect via ODBC as described above.
    The default user in MSDE is called SA, with a blanc password.

hth

Originally posted by marion
    As from Access 2000, you will also find MSDE on the installation CD's.
    MSDE is a light desktop version of SQL-server, without a proper user interface, but... it will allow you to run your mdf-files!

So install MDSE, start the MSDE-engine, and you should be able to connect via ODBC as described above.
    The default user in MSDE is called SA, with a blanc password.

hth
    its worth a try...though u may have a compatability issue adding a sql 7 mdf to a 2000 msde. make a back up of the files before you do that.
    Jim

After connected, question.

JDionne,

Thanks to you, I created a successful connection to the website database on the hosting server (I'm a company's webmaster) and I'm wanting to manually add information to a Database. It is showing "(AutoNumber)" and I can't seem to add a new ID and add some info manually. (The database is of company retailers that we use for a "Dealer Locator" and it automatically connects to our company system and pulls data, however, it doesn't pull some Dealers that I need to have pull up on the website's "Dealer Locator". That's why I'm inquiring about manually entering them into the Database.

This sound like it's possible for me?

Thanks.

Re: After connected, question.

Originally posted by Hi_Im_Jason
    JDionne,

Thanks to you, I created a successful connection to the website database on the hosting server (I'm a company's webmaster) and I'm wanting to manually add information to a Database. It is showing "(AutoNumber)" and I can't seem to add a new ID and add some info manually. (The database is of company retailers that we use for a "Dealer Locator" and it automatically connects to our company system and pulls data, however, it doesn't pull some Dealers that I need to have pull up on the website's "Dealer Locator". That's why I'm inquiring about manually entering them into the Database.

This sound like it's possible for me?

Thanks.
    In SQL server when a column datatype says autonumber it means that it will automaticaly fill in a number in sequencial order based on the restraines given it on the table. You will neaver be able to add info into a column like this. All you should have to do is start to add info into another column in that record and when you hit enter to alow the data to be accepted the auto number will populate itself.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

Yes, that's helpful. Thanks.