Question HELP :: ERD with multiple levels?

Hi,

I'm working on an Entity Relationship Diagram for a helpdesk system, and my superiors has requested the ERD to be in multiple levels. Example Level 1, Level 2, etc...

Now, I have been searching around google for ERD tutorials, and none of them seems to mention anything about levels. I asked my lecturers and they said that it is possible that levels are used in a more complex ERD, but is not generally used.

Is there really levels in ERD? how does it work and what does it look like?

Cheers,

Re: HELP :: ERD with multiple levels?

Originally posted by postino
    Hi,

I'm working on an Entity Relationship Diagram for a helpdesk system, and my superiors has requested the ERD to be in multiple levels. Example Level 1, Level 2, etc...

Now, I have been searching around google for ERD tutorials, and none of them seems to mention anything about levels. I asked my lecturers and they said that it is possible that levels are used in a more complex ERD, but is not generally used.

Is there really levels in ERD? how does it work and what does it look like?

Cheers,
    I have never heard of "multiple levels" of ERD. However, I imagine they are talking about breaking down a very complex ERD into smaller parts (e.g. subsystems), and then having a main "high level" ERD that shows the main entities from all areas and how they link together.

Taking the example of a typical corporate database, there might be separate ERDs for HR info, Payroll, Accounting, Purchasing, etc. Then you might have an overall ERD that shows how the main Payroll entities link to HR and Accounting entities, etc.

Thanks andrewst, I think I know what to do now.

Its like customer and company as level 1
    then in level 2, company branches out to staff, products, etc...
    untill it can't branch out anymore....

Thanks for the reply,

Cheers

I think you should ask them what they mean by levels. It's not at all clear from your post. You know a common term in help desks is what level of support is working on a problem at any one time. For instance, the person that answers the phone is referred to as a "level 1 support person." If they can't solve the problem, they call a level 2 person, perhaps a DBA. If they can't solve it, maybe a level 3 person is called, for example a system administrator, etc. Could this be what they mean?

Thanks for replying RayD, for the helpdesk system that we're designing, there's only a group of IT staff to solve the problem, 1 operator to manage the posts, and 1 admin to manage the server.

Anyway, my superiors said to forget it. It was just a suggestion.