Unanswered: If database is open, can't access tables asp

I have an asp page which verifies permissions in an access database table of username/password (mdw file for permissions on the db) and then displays another table's info. This works fine IF the db is not open when running the asp page. I have found out however, that if another user has the db open, it won't work. It's like only one person can access at a time. something to do with the idb file? I don't know what to do here. Does this make sense? Can someone help?

I need to explain a bit more....we have multiple users who use the access database on a share (e:/). The asp pages/web pages are on a different share (f:/). Several users can run the asp pages and query the database ONLY IF the database is Not open on e:/. If it is open (mdw/idb files showing), the asp can't query the tables.
    Last edited by loolie; 01-22-03 at 07:22.

Re: If database is open, can't access tables asp

That is correct the "lock" file will not allow updates or to run querys from a open file. This is microsofts polite way of saying "If you want to have more than one user buy SQL server"

Oh No. Our main reason for this was to have users without ms access be able to contribute to the tables. Is there ANY way around this at all? The only thing I can think of is to make a duplicate table in another db...but then it's not 'live' and we run into issues there. I guess I thought since you can have multiple users in access that it would work the same way with the asp. Any ideas at all on another way around?

What purpose does having the users directly open the access database. Are they creating fields/tables or just inputing data?

Both. We have an entire employee database which has a lot of users. Also we create new forms and fields etc. for filtering when need arises. We don't want to build asp for the entire database. We still want those with ms access software to do what they are doing now. Just want web access for certain pieces of it for outside the depts. Does this make sense?

Unhappy

I see... I don't see a solution in that case then. There just is no possible way to utilize the same DB when open from MS Access and access it thru the jet or oledb provider. Even if you were to "link" the database you would run into the same issue.

Sorry i could not be of more assistance.

Thanks

Thanks for your comments