Thread: Gannt Charts

Question Unanswered: Gannt Charts

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to make a Gannt Chart in Access. I know you can do funky things with Ms Project DLLs/ActiveX etc. but is there not an easier way?

What I've got is a database that holds information on training courses (delegates, times, venues etc.) and I want to show what courses are running when (in a month).

I've done it by programmatically drawing lines and labels on a new form(which also had the advantage of having events on the labels, so when you click on a course it goes to the record). This took ages and (although being intensly satisfying) is annoying because I want to save the database as an MDE (there is a lot of code in the database and it runs faster) but since this Gannt chart function makes a new form it won't work in an MDE.

I manages to get it to make a similar chart in Excel, but it was far from ideal (and quite ugly).

Does anyone know of any Chart Add-ins or anything.

Thanks in Advance

John

gantts / Project type reports

Dear John,

I have invested considerable time developing this type of report for use within our company - We build exhibition stands and dates are pretty much a key part of our business.

For our purposes, project was too comprehensive for what we wanted - (you can also get some active X components) so I went away and developed my own...

Resources I have found include;

http://www.mvps.org/access/reports/rpt0018.htm

Search for other postings by me on this group and you will get the drift of how I acheived it - I would post the code but Im tweaking it as we speak.

If this doesnt put you in the right direction e-Mail me direct

garethd@stanco.co.uk
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Re: gantts / Project type reports

What you have done is exactly what I need. The only difference is that I require the functionality that you get from forms. I need to be able to click on bars in the chart and bring up the record.

I did, as you did, by drawing the labels to the correct width by the date diff.

Your was a lot prettier than mime though.

Many Thanks

John

Gannt

Yes...My job planner charts are coming along nicely, but as you probably noticed, I also started looking at scheduling peoples time and giving the user the ability to click on a form item and edit the associated record...

The "Static" (non clickable) report planner is my main project at the moment. Let me know if you want to have a look at any of the code -
    (Ill post it when it's finished in a week or five!

The latest version is far more efficient;

Basically the user selects a month period from a dropdown menu
    and when they click the "View Planner" command button, this runs a query to find any events which are in that month or overlap with it

Within the detail_format event of the planner, a module is called which is sent the start and end dates of the current event - these are then evaluated to see what part should be printed on the report - this module returns the relative position on the screen (sort of -1 to 33 to represent days - 2 days either end of each month: AND the relative width) and this value is then multiplied to give the number of Twips wide & twips position

Each element of that event is then positioned and stretched accordingly using;

With Me.ShowName
    .Visible = True
    .Left = LeftPos
    .Width = (BarDayWidth * EventBarWidth)
    .BackColor = ElementColour
    End With

<That sort of thing

Again the module called earlier also evaluates which colour to print the element using case statements.

My project is a bit specific to our company, but Im sure the code will be of interest once I finish / post it.

Stay Lucky

Rasher
    Last edited by garethdart; 01-23-03 at 08:37.
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Question Organisation Charts

Hi all

I know this is not 100% related to this thread, but I have a feeling the way to solve this may be the same.

I wish to create a report in Access which presents the data in an organisation chart. I have tables with fields detailing the roles and managers etc as foreign keys, but cannot seem to find a way to format the report so it looks like a org chart.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Russ

Top of the head...

Have you looked at Word?

I am sure there is a feature within Word for Org charts.

Is automation between the two applications a possibility?

...Just an off the top of the head idea