Question Unanswered: What's wrong with this code?

I have some extreme problems with a function inside a form that updates some of the displayed elements.

The code ist here: http://www.midiport.de/problem.htm

Has anybody a clue whats the problem here? Access crashes big big time with the code! (Not even an Error Message). I appreciate any comments! :-)

Re: What's wrong with this code?

Originally posted by waldemar
    I have some extreme problems with a function inside a form that updates some of the displayed elements.

The code ist here: http://www.midiport.de/problem.htm

Has anybody a clue whats the problem here? Access crashes big big time with the code! (Not even an Error Message). I appreciate any comments! :-)
    Try putting a breakpoint on the first line and stepping through. Go slow so you can tell which line it crashes on.

Gee, I totally forgot about that :-)

I get interesting "regular" errors now :-)

Well it looks like

Set rsDetailsCopy = Me.subEditSingleReportEntries.Form.RecordsetClone

is causing some trouble. Sometimes the object is available, sometimes it's not. Even with

If rsDetailsCopy.EOF = False Or rsDetailsCopy.BOF = False Then

right afterwards I can not avoid this problem... this is very puzzling to me...

Gee, I totally forgot about that :-)

I get interesting "regular" errors now :-)

Well it looks like

is causing some trouble. Sometimes the object is available, sometimes it's not. Even with

If rsDetailsCopy.EOF = False Or rsDetailsCopy.BOF = False Then

right afterwards I can not avoid this problem... this is very puzzling to me...
    Maybe wrappping that code in an IF will handle it. Something like:

If 0 <> Me.subEditSingleReportEntries.Form.RecordsetClone. RecordCount Then
    End If

Thanks! But it must be something totally different. I removed the whole recordsetclone-stuff and:

Access still crashes...

VEEEERY interesting: By stepping through the code (F8) it WON't crash!!!

Here it comes:

Access crashes only when the function (updateDisplay()) is called two times with very little time in between!

I have two buttons (I guess this obvious from the code) that call this function. If I press them slowly (waiting several seconds in between) everything works fine. But as soon as I click faster ----> CRASH

Is this some sort of Access outrunning itself ????

Here it comes:

Access crashes only when the function (updateDisplay()) is called two times with very little time in between!

I have two buttons (I guess this obvious from the code) that call this function. If I press them slowly (waiting several seconds in between) everything works fine. But as soon as I click faster ----> CRASH

if you are using querydefs/recordsets maybe they are not getting closed correctly?????
    Jim

Here it comes:

Hmmm, who knows. Try this. In the click event, call updateDisplay() and then DoEvents. Then try clicking on it fast again.

DoEvents alone didnt make any difference.

With this code however I get at least an error message before access crashes the *next* time I click:

(inside the function
    Do While IsFormLoaded(**FORMNAME**)
    DoEvents
    Loop

(extra-function
    Function IsFormLoaded(pstrFormName As String) As Integer
    IsFormLoaded = SysCmd(SYSCMD_GETOBJECTSTATE, A_FORM, pstrFormName)
    End Function

Well, now it complains it couldnt save some record's data and then comes the next crash (BTW I'm using Access 2002 with the latest SP 2).

Maybe I should include some code to wait 3 seconds before the user is allowed to anything again . Seriously, I believe this DoEvent thing is going in the right direction, but so far it doesnt solve the crisis