Red face Unanswered: Access 2000 - "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument"

I've started to receive this error message when I attempt to import a text file to Acess 2000 - but only on 1 of 4 files. It doesn't seem to matter which PC I attempt to import the file on, I receive the same error message. This has just recently occurred. The text file is actually a report that is sent to a file as we have no other way of extracting data.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me?

Re: Access 2000 - "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument"

Originally posted by Rslater
    I've started to receive this error message when I attempt to import a text file to Acess 2000 - but only on 1 of 4 files. It doesn't seem to matter which PC I attempt to import the file on, I receive the same error message. This has just recently occurred. The text file is actually a report that is sent to a file as we have no other way of extracting data.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me?
    Can you show the contents of the file?

If I continue to try and force the import, I get a file that is all questions marks (attached). Normally, I see the report.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails import file error 18-01-03.bmp  

If I continue to try and force the import, I get a file that is all questions marks (attached). Normally, I see the report.
    There are probably some unrecognizable characters in the report that access can't handle.

I kind of though that. Does anyone have any idea how I might identify what the characters are, and where they are in the file?

I kind of though that. Does anyone have any idea how I might identify what the characters are, and where they are in the file?
    It looks like it's not converting from an ASCII file, but I don't know how to correct it.

I receive the same invalid argument message when I'm trying to export from Access to Excel. And I'm just baffled. Any suggestions?

thanks AprilB,

I've found a way past the issue but I still don't know how to correct it properly. I have found that when I try to import the text document, the default codepage in Access is "unicode" and it will not interpret the file. If I click on "Advanced" and change the codepage to almost anything other than "unicode", I can see the data. From here I can apply my import specs and import my file correctly.

I don't know whether the issue is with the text output from the application or whether it is an issue with the default codepage on the other computers, but it seems to affect all.

Any Ideas where to deal with the default codepage issue?

thanks AprilB,

I've found a way past the issue but I still don't know how to correct it properly. I have found that when I try to import the text document, the default codepage in Access is "unicode" and it will not interpret the file. If I click on "Advanced" and change the codepage to almost anything other than "unicode", I can see the data. From here I can apply my import specs and import my file correctly.

I don't know whether the issue is with the text output from the application or whether it is an issue with the default codepage on the other computers, but it seems to affect all.

You got further than me, I'm going to try the "Advanced" route and see if it'll work for this export. I work with Development+ where our data is housed and import/link into Access via ODBC. I have a suspicion my problem could be the servers, because any tbl that had data pulled from D+ didn't export to txt. I also tried bringing the data through xls to txt that didn't work either.

Default codpage issue: an alternative is to possibly create a VB TransferText procedure and avoid import wizard. I'm currently taking a VB course, so I don't have much insight to share just food-for-thought.

thanks AprilB,

Hi RSlater, I found out what my export problem was caused by, when I import data from the housed dbs, in causes a mantissa affect in access in other words what I see is NOT what I get. Because my files are so huge, I have to strip the field out to change the data type, once that is done then I am able to export my file. The only way to avoid this is to create a filter in a programming language e.g. perl, VB etc. maybe a similar filter could work for your import problem.