Unanswered: Null Values on Forms

Heyas:

My simple problem is that I have a form where sometimes the values have to be Null, and appear blank in Print View on the form. I simply wish to make these Null values APPEAR as something like '****' on the printed version of the form, meanwhile keeping the Null value the same on the table. How do I go about accomplishing this? My thanks in advance for your time!!

the easiest way is to stick on the report functions instead of values. You can have one function and call it or you can have on each field separate function. Better would be to have one function, cauze if you change your mind and don't like * anymore, you can replace it easily with -

put this function to modules

Public Function MyNullValue(InputValue As Variant) As Variant

If IsNull(InputValue) Then
    MyNullValue = "*****"
    Else
    MyNullValue = InputValue
    End If

End Function

then you can use it on your report, instead of each field, put to CONTROL SOURCE
    =MyNullValue([MyField])

don't forget that the NAME of the TEXT BOX has to be different than the name of the table field!

so if your field is MYFIELD, textbox name can be let's say MyFieldNull but not MyField

jiri

Very cool, my thanks for the coding...

But is there no way I can do it with the formatting? I have multiple reports each with 40 + fields on it that can be Null, I am not looking forward to going in and redoing each field :/

Again however thanks for replying, this certainly helps!

the other way is to change input query for each report....

Red face

Mmm? How is that?

I am going through the report and it appears if I wanted to play with the module idea I would basicaly have to redesign the report

The other thing I neglected to mention is that some values are reliant on what the other values are, thus If I fully replace a Null Value with stars then it hoses up other reliant values. That is why I am looking for a masking technique of some type, so that the printed report shows '****' for a placeholder instead of the raw blank area, however the value on the query is still Null.