Thread: Helpdesk design

Helpdesk design

Hi everyone

I'm quite new to database design and have to program a web oriented helpdesk for my company
    We have 2 user profiles :

*users : who can create helpdesk tickets
    *techies : who open, close tickets and support users

Here is my diagram

user --< ticket >-- support action --< techie >-- group

also tickets are owned by a category : ticket >-- category

I think this design is ok for a simple helpdesk, tho i need to add a few functionalities :

*i need an admin profile who can control the whole helpdesk system by creating, opening, closing any ticket and manage users and also affecting tickets to techie
    *a techie has to be able to affect a ticket he can't support to another techie

My question : how can i add the admin profile and the affectation thing to mo my diagram ?

Thanks in advance,
    Quentin.

Re: Helpdesk design

I would think that both Techie and Admin are subtypes of User.

You don't seem to have any relationship between a Ticket and a Techie at the moment. Presumably this should be one of the following:

1) Ticket >--- Techie
    2) Ticket --< Ticket Assignment >--- Techie

(When you say "affect" I think you must mean "assign"?)

<i>I would think that both Techie and Admin are subtypes of User.</i>
    True

<i>You don't seem to have any relationship between a Ticket and a Techie at the moment. </i>
    There is already a relationship : the techie makes a support action (change toner) related to the ticket (printer dont print)

<i>(When you say "affect" I think you must mean "assign"?) </i>
    Yes, sorry for my poor english

I believe i could just have a table recording all the tickets assignments (with techie id and ticket id as foreign keys) but i dont know how to add it in my model

Quentin

I think your relationships with Support Action may be the wrong way round?

user --< ticket >-- support action --< techie >-- group

This has each techie associated with just ONE support action. Did you not mean:

user --< ticket --< support action >-- techie >-- group

? I guess it partly depends on exactly what a "support action" is: is it a generic type of action (e.g. "changing toners") or a specific action (e.g. "change toner on printer X on date D"). But either way, presumably a given techie can do more than one support action ever?

Originally posted by tigger
    I believe i could just have a table recording all the tickets assignments (with techie id and ticket id as foreign keys) but i dont know how to add it in my model
    Quentin
    This is just:

techie --< assignment >-- ticket

I guess it partly depends on exactly what a "support action" is: is it a generic type of action (e.g. "changing toners") or a specific action (e.g. "change toner on printer X on date D"). But either way, presumably a given techie can do more than one support action ever?

You are right, i had never used the A ---< B representation before and am not very used to it
    Obviously, a techie can do more than one action

I think i found the answer to my question, i can post the diagram if you like (it is in french tho)

Quentin

Originally posted by tigger
    I think i found the answer to my question, i can post the diagram if you like (it is in french tho)
    Quentin
    Oui, je suis disposé à essayer!

There u are hehe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mcd.gif