Thread: log content

Unanswered: log content

Hey all,

Im running DB2 V7.2 on aix 4.3.3 and I need to know:

is there any way or utility that allows me to read the contents of the log files?

Im setting up a backup-restore strategy and imagining the theres an error and I need to restore a small set of tablespaces. After the restore I would rollforward to a point-in-time before the wrongful transaction. This would cause all the transactions made after that point to be rolled-back. And I wanted to read the log files to discover which transaction was wrong and reapply the other transactions and have a minumun loss of commited transactions.

Also, in SQL-DS there was a feature that permitted me to skip an specified transaction, once I knew which cause the error. This would prevent me from reapplying those transactions manually. Is there anything similar in DB2?

Thanks in advance,
    Fernando

Re: log content

I don't think you can go this deep into the DB2 Logs on AIX .... IBM Recovery Expert does some basic log analysis ... See if this will be of any help

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ARYU1A11.PDF

AFAIK, skipping a transaction is allowed in DB2 ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by F.OHANA
    Hey all,

Im running DB2 V7.2 on aix 4.3.3 and I need to know:

is there any way or utility that allows me to read the contents of the log files?

Im setting up a backup-restore strategy and imagining the theres an error and I need to restore a small set of tablespaces. After the restore I would rollforward to a point-in-time before the wrongful transaction. This would cause all the transactions made after that point to be rolled-back. And I wanted to read the log files to discover which transaction was wrong and reapply the other transactions and have a minumun loss of commited transactions.

Also, in SQL-DS there was a feature that permitted me to skip an specified transaction, once I knew which cause the error. This would prevent me from reapplying those transactions manually. Is there anything similar in DB2?

Thanks in advance,
    Fernando

Thanks!

Ill see what DB2 enables on log reading.

Fernando

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    I don't think you can go this deep into the DB2 Logs on AIX .... IBM Recovery Expert does some basic log analysis ... See if this will be of any help

Cheers

Sathyaram

Hey all,

Again with this subject.

I was going through the manuals Data Recovery and High Availability and the Recovery Expert that you suggested me and I found a good part of what Im looking for. About the log reading and a more precise recovery. Although I havent found anything about skipping a transaction during the rollforward recovery. Is there any information or command line statement that could enlighten me on this matter?

Thanks very much,
    Fernando

Originally posted by sathyaram_s

Cheers

Sathyaram