Unanswered: DB-library network communications layer not loaded

Hi guys. I'm a pleb in a POS company and I'm learning SQL server on the fly. I'm sure that'll sound familiar.
    I've got one client's having problems with our system. We have a program that runs at night that performs database maintenance tasks. This program has worked in all our other clients sites except this one.
    At first I thought it might be a missing "sa" user due to the following error:

RUNTIME ERROR "-2147203048 (80044818): [Microsoft][ODBC SQL
    Server driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sa'

I've spoken to the programmers and they have no idea as to why:
    1. The user isn't there
    2. A quick way of fixing.
    The best suggestion that they've come up with is to install Enterprise manager. Something is better then nothing I guess.
    Anyway, in the mean time, I've contacted a former associate of the company and asked him to ask error. He then came back with some helpful stuff, one of which jogged my memory to just run a quick test of the 'sa' user to see if it's there. So I run just a simple command line query (isql -U sa, no password) which returned the following error:

DB-Library: Db-library network communications layer not loaded.

This leads me to believe that 'sa' is in fact there. The thing that further compounds this belief is that the main POS can logon through that driver except this particular database maintenance application.

I'd appreciate any help you've got. Please bear with me if this is posted on the wrong forum. Thanks.

Kind regards,

ka Kwok
    Customer Service Operator

Re: DB-library network communications layer not loaded

RE:
    ... a simple command line query (isql -U sa, no password) which returned...
    Hopefully the issue is simply that the sa account HAS a password other than nothing (if not it would be wise to consider immediately issuing the sa account a strong password).
    Q1 I'd appreciate any help you've got. Please bear with me if this is posted on the wrong forum. Thanks. Kind regards, ka Kwok Customer Service Operator
    A1 Some things to consider and / or check may include:

Create and try another TestConnection account with a known (strong) password. What type of connections does the server support, and has it been verified that the Sql Service is in fact always running? Is Sql Server security configured for the connection type being attempted (standard Sql Server login, in the case of sa)? Is it possible to connect using Query Analyzer and a TestConnection account locally (if not, verify that the correct protocol, ports, etc., is being accessed)? Check and / or update MDAC levels as necessary / appropriate.

{More detailed information (including the Sql Server, MDAC, etc. versions involved, etc.), should make it easier for others to provide more useful / helpful feedback.}

Thanks for your response. I've been thinking about this issue a fair bit.
    I want to provide more information but given my position, I'm having problem trying to source that information. Currently, I'm not even been given a lot of help or support from any one with in the company to resolve this situation. However I'm pretty adamant on fixing this problem since it's an important client (if anything politcal happens I'll just treat it as the trigger).
    Anyway, I'm starting to think that it might be a corrupted MDAC library. The server that's running our POS is serviced by another company and I'm starting to suspect something happened that no one's telling me stuff about.
    I'm going to try a lot of what suggested with the other posts (on related matter) and see if that helps.
    I'm still pretty much learning MS SQL on the fly.
    I've bought a book on it but I'd value some better sources. Would you happen to have some sort good links or a list of good references.
    I appreciated your help.
    Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Broomer

RE:
    Thanks for your response. I've been thinking about this issue a fair bit.
    I want to provide more information but given my position, I'm having problem trying to source that information. Currently, I'm not even been given a lot of help or support from any one with in the company to resolve this situation. However I'm pretty adamant on fixing this problem since it's an important client (if anything political happens I'll just treat it as the trigger).

Q1 Anyway, I'm starting to think that it might be a corrupted MDAC library.

The server that's running our POS is serviced by another company and I'm starting to suspect something happened that no one's telling me stuff about.
    I'm going to try a lot of what suggested with the other posts (on related matter) and see if that helps.
    I'm still pretty much learning MS SQL on the fly.
    I've bought a book on it but I'd value some better sources.
    You are welcome.

A1 You might consider having the MDAC component status determined with the compatibility checking tool. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm#CCinfo

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...XP/EN-US/cc.exe

RE:
    Q2 Would you happen to have some sort of good links or a list of good references. I appreciated your help. Thanks again. Kind regards, Broomer
    A2 Yes. Here are a few references: (on the fly, as it were)

* Best "On the fly", and general resource:
    Upgrade to the SP3 update to BOL = Books On Line, http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...2000/books.asp and use the F1 key (also shift - F1 on hilighted Query Analyzer text)

For some Links See:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...00/default.asp
    http://www.sswug.org/ (great source compiling other resources, membership $ includes Sql server Mag.)
    http://www.MSSqlServer.com
    http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/

Reference texts:
    * Inside Microsoft SQL Server:
    - Kalen Delaney for >= Ver 7.0
    - Ron Soukop for <= Ver 6.5

- MS Press - Sql Server Performance Tuning

- Solomon for 6.5 Sql Server Unleashed
    - Solomon for TSQL - Teach Yourself tsql in 21 Days
    - Hotek for 7.0 (mostly still valid in 2k may have newer materials out)
    - C. Date for RDBMS fundamentals (not vendor specific)
    - Louis Davidson for design - Sql Server 2k DB Design
    - Utley for Web Dev
    - Peterson for DTS

Note: Those in general admin type roles sometimes prefer something like the SAMS DBA survival guide and a "complete" type reference like Shapiro's (as an alternative to obtaining a collection multiple advanced reference texts). Lots of good texts exist, however, quite a few "survival", fundamentals, and beginners type books offer nothing beyond BOL, and are less well organized.

Cool Thanks.

All the best.

Kind regards,

Ka Kwok

Hi, you guys have been extremely helpful. Anyway, I kinda nutted out the problem. Some shmoll has renamed the sa password. I came across the following MSKBA(#322336):
    1. Goto the BINN dir
    2. osql -U sa <enter><enter> ::This test the password
    3. If you get a password file then at least you know the user's there.

To change the password:
    1. Goto the BINN dir
    2. osql -E <enter> ::Logs you in using Windows authentication
    3. sp_password @old = null, @new = <password>, @loginame = 'sa' <enter> ::Where <password> is the new 'password ' (in single quotes) or null for no password
    4. go <enter>

My application needed no password (weak security I know, but it ain't my code), and that got them going (touch wood).

Thanks again.

All the best.

Kind regards,

Ka Kwok