Unanswered: Insert a textfile into a SQL DB

Assuming I have a comma delimited textfile that corresponds in columns and data types to the table I want to insert into, how do i do the insert using a stored procedure?
    Last edited by eWW; 01-24-03 at 09:06.

Lookup "Bulk Insert" in Books Online.
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Re: Insert a textfile into a SQL DB

As an alternative, you can also use a DTS package. However, I think BULK INSERT is a better option. And as soon as I learn how to use it, I will get off of my DTS crutch.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Every problem has many solutions, some better then others. In general DTS is a good thing and MUCH more flexable than bulk insert!
    Paul Young

I appreciate the flexibility of DTS and am baffled by its complexity if I want to influence it from the outside.

I am working on a webapplication where the user should be able to upload an extract of his database and integrate it into the database of my application. Working with ASP I can call a stored procedure and I can allocate the fields in the textfile to the columns in my SQL DB by sending parameters. With this I can dynamically allocate the users fields to my columns.

While I can use DTS manually, I have no clue as to how to use it dynamically. So I figured I'd use the stored procedure approach. But now I need to somehow access the lines of the textfile to insert them into my table.

Again, checkout Books Online, formulate a plan and post back any questions.
    Paul Young

Looks like I don't have bulkadmin or sysadmin rights on the server. The provider does not seem willing to change that.

Any other ideas?

BCP from the command line, your provider may have turned this off.
    DTS, although I don't know this well enough to say if you will run into security problems,
    Write an app to insert one row at a time.
    Paul Young