Unanswered: Oracle Designer (PM/FHD)

Hello,
    I'm new to Oracle so bear with me. I have a process model designed. Now, when I design a FHD, why can't I go back into my PM and modify a process step that has been identified as a function in the FHD? In the PM I get a message that process step belong to another user and to re-query the diagram. I am the only user of the PM. When I do the re-query the process step disappears. Why, and how can I get around this?
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Oracle Designer (PM/FHD)

Originally posted by larryb
    Hello,
    I'm new to Oracle so bear with me. I have a process model designed. Now, when I design a FHD, why can't I go back into my PM and modify a process step that has been identified as a function in the FHD? In the PM I get a message that process step belong to another user and to re-query the diagram. I am the only user of the PM. When I do the re-query the process step disappears. Why, and how can I get around this?
    Thanks
    The Process Modeler is rather irritating in various ways, and this is one of them. It distinguishes between "Process Steps" that it considers to belong to the diagram and "Global Process Steps" that it does not. When you created the PM, all the process steps you created were made to be children of the function representing the process like this:

Function PROCESS (the one the diagram is based on)
    - Function STEP1 (a process step on the diagram)
    - Function STEP2 (a process step on the diagram)
    - etc.

Then you went into the FHD and moved things around, as you would. So maye you now have an FHD like:

PROCESS
    - SUBPROCESS1
    - - STEP1
    - - STEP7
    - SUBPROCESS2
    - - STEP 2
    - - etc.

Then when you go back and open the PM, it thinks that all the process steps have been deleted ("by another user"), because STEP1 etc. are no longer children of the process (they are grandchildren).

What you then have to do is Edit->Include->Global Process Step and find and select the missing process steps, which will then be brought back into the diagram.

Unfortunately, all your nice layout work has been lost and you'll have to spend half an hour or so fixing it all up.

The good news is that NEXT time you open the diagram it will all be OK - unless you have re-shuffled the FHD again by then!