Unanswered: Splitting the database

After I splitt the db (access xp) the forms take for ever to open... very very slow. Do you know why?
    Is there any way to improve it?

Re: Splitting the database

Originally posted by Sia
    After I splitt the db (access xp) the forms take for ever to open... very very slow. Do you know why?
    your network could have something to do with that. makeing the connection could be slowing you down
    Jim

Re: Splitting the database

Originally posted by Sia
    Sia

To test whether it is a network problem, copy both the front end and back end to the same computer, link the tables and then see if the sluggish behavior continues. If it does, please come back and let us know.

Cheers,
    Zambezibill

I actually have done that. It is still very slow.
    One problem might be that I have lots of list boxes and their row sources are based on queries, which are requred on current, that might slow it down

Thanks

Hi Sia,
    Having list boxes, combo boxes with queries, especially multi parameter queries, do slow down execution significantly. And adding network traffic to it just helps decreasing the speed of access to data. This is normal. And sometimes you may have to have them running.

Not knowing exactly how you have things set is making it difficult to make the best suggestion. But based on experience, I can tell you this: Have only your tables in the network when you have it split. Make your forms, queries and reports run at local computers. Hopefully this will add some speed to your application.

Goodluck
    ZenX