Unanswered: ACT! Database access from a scripting language

I'm trying to connect to an ACT! database with ASP, however, I'm having absolutely ZERO success. Has anyone has any experience with this at all and/or could point me to some decent documentation on how this is done?

I've gone through the normal connection string and ISAM supportive perspectives to no avail...

Here's my code *just in case* I'm so tired I'm missing the boat entirely...

<%
    Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source= ""C:\Database\Contacts.dbf""; Extended Properties=""FoxPro 3.0;"";"

objConn.Close

%>

and the lovely error that I always receive is:Error Type:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.
    /act/dbConnect.asp, line 13

Any suggestions?
    thanks

Hi bob123,

I usually export the ACT fields I need to a text file and read the data from there.

I have been trying to read the ACT database from VB...no luck either.

Good Luck,
    Bruce Baasch

I think I've found it...

There isn't much documentation out there about this, but I found that the String Connection has to be modified to support the odd setup ACT! has going...

strConnect = "Driver={Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver}; SourceType=DBF; SourceDB=C:\Database\; Exclusive=No;"

I'm connecting now, able to count the fields in the tables correctly, but have yet to pull data yet.... more to come...

Act connection via MS ACCESS

Hi Bob123,

Did you succedd connecting to an Act database.

I am very interresting in your connection script.

Thanks

I'm also interested in a solution to this problem. We use ACT internally and would like to make a section of our data available on our website for viewing, it's a referral directory which users can browse.

I had a look on the ACT! website and they recommend not to do it, but probably because they want to sell their own tool, ACT! for Web, see article at:

http://itdomino.act.com/act.nsf/docid/1998081014202501

Has anyone had any luck connecting to an ACT! database .dbf file using ODBC or an OLE DB or connection string and is able to read and write back to the ACT! database and still use it with the ACT! application itself?

Thanks!

act

I'm able to access about a dozen or so ACT 6.0 databases in my office. The problem is the results are not always reliable. I have a database with 639 leads in it, and if I do a "SELECT * FROM mydb.dbf" I only get 527 records.

To make things worse, some of the 527 are records that have been deleted from within Act! If anyone has any insight to this, I'd really like to hear it.