Unanswered: UDLs, Connection Strings and What's the deal with my membership?

As a general hint to people having difficulties with connection strings (ain't they a pain!), I have used this cheat for a LONG time with great success.

1. Create a new file (empty of any type, though .txt works best for me)
    2. Rename the file with a .udl extension.
    3. The icon will change. Double-click the file and a wizard will pop-up and prompt you to make a connection to a database (for all database drivers installed on the machine). You'll start with a default to a DSN connection, but you can change your provider by clicking on the first tab.
    4. Make your necessary settings, test the connection and when it is successful, close the file.
    5. Right-click on the file and select 'Open With'. Choose Notepad.
    6. Voila, a ready-made connection string that you can cut and paste into your app.

WARNING!!!: Be sure to delete the file after you are done to prevent anyone from reading it (especially if the username/password are specfied).

Now a question, what's up with the star(s) under my user name when I post? What's up with my Membership Status (I went from being a Junior Member to being a Member, but I wanna be like Paul Young and some of the others!)? Curious minds want to know.

Regards,

Hugh Scott
    DBA wannabe

Your status is increasing with number of posts.

Every new member is welcomed.

Unhappy Re: UDLs, Connection Strings and What's the deal with my membership?

I'm having trouble creating UDLs on my System. I have Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000. I have updated to the latest versions of each. When I first installed all the above applications, I was able to create UDLs using the method you describe.

But now I cannot. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Originally posted by hmscott
    As a general hint to people having difficulties with connection strings (ain't they a pain!), I have used this cheat for a LONG time with great success.

1. Create a new file (empty of any type, though .txt works best for me)
    2. Rename the file with a .udl extension.
    3. The icon will change. Double-click the file and a wizard will pop-up and prompt you to make a connection to a database (for all database drivers installed on the machine). You'll start with a default to a DSN connection, but you can change your provider by clicking on the first tab.
    4. Make your necessary settings, test the connection and when it is successful, close the file.
    5. Right-click on the file and select 'Open With'. Choose Notepad.
    6. Voila, a ready-made connection string that you can cut and paste into your app.

WARNING!!!: Be sure to delete the file after you are done to prevent anyone from reading it (especially if the username/password are specfied).

Now a question, what's up with the star(s) under my user name when I post? What's up with my Membership Status (I went from being a Junior Member to being a Member, but I wanna be like Paul Young and some of the others!)? Curious minds want to know.

Regards,

Hugh Scott
    DBA wannabe
    JayD
    Boulder, CO, USA