Unanswered: Can't shutdown oracle (shutdown immediate) and no alert log, why???

Dear all OCP and experts,

In what cases that Oracle was not able to shutdown using 'shutdown immediate' and why there aren't any alert log write to the log file?

I found there still some sessions r mark as 'killed' for long time.

What could i do?

Pls help ....

thanks.

Re: Can't shutdown oracle (shutdown immediate) and no alert log, why???

Try 'shutdown abort'.

After that, do 'startup' and 'shutdown' and 'startup' again. This enables Oracle to clean up (on the 'shutdown').

Ad Dieleman.

for remaining "killed" sessions, try ORAKILL (for NT) or kill the SID on UNIX. If shutdown immediate is waiting on these current transactions to end, this will help

Smile Re: Can't shutdown oracle (shutdown immediate) and no alert log, why???

Originally posted by kshoo
    Dear all OCP and experts,

In what cases that Oracle was not able to shutdown using 'shutdown immediate' and why there aren't any alert log write to the log file?

I found there still some sessions r mark as 'killed' for long time.

What could i do?

Pls help ....

thanks.

Cases, or I should say the reasons are:

1. Rollback segments - failed or incompleted transactions are being rolled back during the time you issued "shutdown immediate". As you might guess, Oracle will try to finish the rolling back, so the state of the db is clear, before completing your request.

2. SMON is cleaning the temporary segments in the same time. Same idea - fist the cleaning, then the shutdown.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA