A simple survey table design

I need to have a set of DB tables for web site polls. A poll is in a form of multiple choice question. The number of choices can vary from a question to another. A poll result need to reported in term of total result, two genders' result. I'm thinking a table is something like

question_id int2
    question varchar(255)
    gender char(1)
    number integer

I don't feel the table is quite right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

v.

Re: A simple survey table design

Originally posted by vwu98034
    I need to have a set of DB tables for web site polls. A poll is in a form of multiple choice question. The number of choices can vary from a question to another. A poll result need to reported in term of total result, two genders' result. I'm thinking a table is something like

question_id int2
    question varchar(255)
    gender char(1)
    number integer

I don't feel the table is quite right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

v.
    Your table seems to be trying to hold both the questions and the replies. These should be in separate tables.

Re: A simple survey table design

You will want to use separate tables for the responses and the questions. You'll need a foreign key in the "response" table that will allow you to link back to the "question" table. It will be a many-to-one relationship (i.e. many responses for one question).

Are you intending to restrict a user from responding more than one time? If so, you will need to capture some user information (user_id or ip_address, or some unique qualifier), and put a constraint on the user/question combination.

Thanks both for your input. I know what the question and answer tables shall look like now.

v.