Unanswered: oracle database - tnsnames.ora file

hello all,

i wish to know that , for a case i was connecting to a database in the system, and i found an error stating that could not resolve the name on tnsnames.ora file. and when i chacked that file, the database existed on the file.
    Can u kindly tell me why did that erroe message came and how can i solve the problem and can connect to the database.
    thaks
    Astha

Re: oracle database - tnsnames.ora file

Originally posted by astha_raj
    hello all,

i wish to know that , for a case i was connecting to a database in the system, and i found an error stating that could not resolve the name on tnsnames.ora file. and when i chacked that file, the database existed on the file.
    Can u kindly tell me why did that erroe message came and how can i solve the problem and can connect to the database.
    thaks
    Astha

Hi,
    your tnsnames.ora file will be in the following directory
    $ORACLE_HOME/net80/admin
    add the following entry in that file. Do make the specified changes
    <SOME_NAME> =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)
    (HOST = <IP ADDRESS>)
    (PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = <ORACLE SID>))
    )
    nn

Cool Re: oracle database - tnsnames.ora file

Originally posted by astha_raj
    hello all,

thaks
    Astha

One reason could be you didn't create the "HOST" name you tried to use in SQL*Plus or after @ in your connection string.

Another - you have [SQLNET|NAMES].DEFAULT_DOMAIN = some_string, which is missing after the TNS service name in tnsnames.ora file.

Check your network files one more time ....

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA