Thread: log shipping

Unanswered: log shipping

I seems to have installed log shipping successfully, I can see the initial database and the transactions back on the primary server and then reflect on the secondary database folder. Also the database appears as read only on the secondary database server. Everything seems to be okay until the restore job on the primary database fails and I get this error message in the event viewer.
    My log shipping alert job-restore is showing that it failed.
    The log shipping destination xxxx is out of sync by 91min.
    Also my log shipping monitor is also marked x to show that something is wrong.
    Please what am I doing wrong.

Re: log shipping

There are quite a few possibilities here. It's necessary to know:

1. What is the frequency of the back up process (how often are logs backed up? how often is the full database backed up?)

2. What is the copy delay? This is the delay from when the backup is made to when the file is copied to the destination server.

3. What is the load delay? This is the delay from when the file is copied to the destination server to when it is loaded on the database server.

4. What is the Backup Threshold? This is the tolerance for item 2 (the number of minutes that a backup does not occure before a flag is raised).

5. What is the Synch Threshold? This is the tolerance for combined items 2 and 3.

I have had a situation where everything was working just fine, but I had set the Synch threshold too low. Please note that the backup and copy delay settings are used to set up jobs that run at specific times; the jobs, however, do not run continuously. If for some reason a step was missed, the job will wait until the next scheduled run time to reprocess the step.

HTH,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by dokeyemi
    I seems to have installed log shipping successfully, I can see the initial database and the transactions back on the primary server and then reflect on the secondary database folder. Also the database appears as read only on the secondary database server. Everything seems to be okay until the restore job on the primary database fails and I get this error message in the event viewer.
    My log shipping alert job-restore is showing that it failed.
    The log shipping destination xxxx is out of sync by 91min.
    Also my log shipping monitor is also marked x to show that something is wrong.
    Please what am I doing wrong.

restore job on the primary database fails

Where are you restoring the primary database ?

Here's what the layout should be.
    ############################################
    Box 1 Primary Production server
    ProdDb1 option trunc log on chkpnt is set to false.
    database maint plan
    Backup db (daily/weekly/monthly/whatever)
    backup tran log (daily/every3hrs/hrly/20 min/5 min/whatever)

Make sure that you set the plan to delete these tran backups at least weekly, they start taking up space even when they're empty.
    You'll also want a job to clear our out the backup history data, it gets big after awhile.

Box 2 Standby Production Server
    ProdDB1

Copy job - Make this job run more freq then the tran backup job
    Load job - Same freq offset
    sync job - Whenever
    Purge log history
    Purge backup history

When you restored the backup on box 2 did you use the standby or just no recovery?

Side note I have one stand by server alone that I log ship 40 databases from three different servers to. I use various plans to manage this. If you need some consulting work. I can help set and document this.

Either way good luck
    Zach