Unanswered: problem in restoring online backup

do anybody know how to rollforward database to point-in-time after restoring an online backup

i have restored online backup successfully but when i am not able to connect to database with different rollforward errors
    please can anybody go through my errors and see all the errors i faced and please help me in getting my database up agin after restore

Hello sir,

In DB2 database we are facing very critical problem
    we are not able to restore our online backup .i will write down all the steps we have tried but it doesn't workout .see please whether u can help us
    1) Command :

db2 restore database pathlab user db2inst1 using ibmdb2 from /usr/onlinebk

restore completed successfully.

2) Command :

db2 connect to pathlab

SQL1117N cannot connect to database as database is in rollforward pending state

3) Command:

rollforward database pathalb to end of logs and complete

SQL4970N Rollforward recovery on databse pathlab cannot reach the specified stop
    point (end-of-log or point-in-time)because of missing log file on node "0"

4) Command:

rollforward database pathlab stop

SQL1276N Cannot be brought out of Rollforward pending state until rollforward has
    passed a point in time greater than or equal to "2003-01-17-05.15.00.000000",
    because node "0" contains information later than specified time.

5) Command:

rollforward databse pathlab query status

then again we got some timestamp parameter(it was 2003-01-17-11.05.....)
    (which we thought was showing timestamp when our backup got over)

6) And then we went to the directory were databse backup was residing there we got timestamp:
    "2003 01 17 10 42 41.001"

7) Now we tried the following command with all th timestamps mentioned in steps 4,5,6

Command:

rollforward database pathlab to <timestamp> and stop

SQL1274N The database requires rollforward recovery and the point-in-time must be to the end of logs

8) Finally we have tried restore without rollforwarding

Command:

restore database pathlab user db2inst1 using ibmdb2 from /usr/onlinebk without rolling forward

SQL2537N Roll-forward is required following the restore

Now we are really fedup please can u tell us how we can restore our online backup and can use the database again smoothly

Re: problem in restoring online backup

You cannot skip a log file during rollforward ...

I'm not very sure from your details, but , did you try doing a restore and then rolling forward to 2003-01-17-05.15.00.000000 .

From your Step 4,5,6,7 I feel that your first rollforward has gone beyond the above timestamp already and so cannot 'roll-backward' ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by shefalidd
    do anybody know how to rollforward database to point-in-time after restoring an online backup

i have restored online backup successfully but when i am not able to connect to database with different rollforward errors
    please can anybody go through my errors and see all the errors i faced and please help me in getting my database up agin after restore

Hello sir,

In DB2 database we are facing very critical problem
    we are not able to restore our online backup .i will write down all the steps we have tried but it doesn't workout .see please whether u can help us
    1) Command :

restore completed successfully.

2) Command :

db2 connect to pathlab

SQL1117N cannot connect to database as database is in rollforward pending state

3) Command:

rollforward database pathalb to end of logs and complete

SQL4970N Rollforward recovery on databse pathlab cannot reach the specified stop
    point (end-of-log or point-in-time)because of missing log file on node "0"

4) Command:

rollforward database pathlab stop

SQL1276N Cannot be brought out of Rollforward pending state until rollforward has
    passed a point in time greater than or equal to "2003-01-17-05.15.00.000000",
    because node "0" contains information later than specified time.

5) Command:

rollforward databse pathlab query status

then again we got some timestamp parameter(it was 2003-01-17-11.05.....)
    (which we thought was showing timestamp when our backup got over)

6) And then we went to the directory were databse backup was residing there we got timestamp:
    "2003 01 17 10 42 41.001"

7) Now we tried the following command with all th timestamps mentioned in steps 4,5,6

Command:

rollforward database pathlab to <timestamp> and stop

SQL1274N The database requires rollforward recovery and the point-in-time must be to the end of logs

8) Finally we have tried restore without rollforwarding

Command:

restore database pathlab user db2inst1 using ibmdb2 from /usr/onlinebk without rolling forward

SQL2537N Roll-forward is required following the restore

Now we are really fedup please can u tell us how we can restore our online backup and can use the database again smoothly

Originally posted by sathyaram_s

I'm not very sure from your details, but , did you try doing a restore and then rolling forward to 2003-01-17-05.15.00.000000 .

From your Step 4,5,6,7 I feel that your first rollforward has gone beyond the above timestamp already and so cannot 'roll-backward' ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram
    hello

i have already mention in my steps 1,2,3 that i did restore first then rollforward to end of logs and then with the timestamp

Now can u please tell me which timestamp should i use now to able to rollforward properly???

i just want to restore and get the data back.
    my restored has worked fine but there is problem in rollforwarding............

is there no way i can get back my online backup back???

Also have u any idea whether incremental backup is possible in DB2 V7.1?????? if yes how we can do it??

please reply

The command to do a incrementa backup in v 7.x is
    backup db <sid> online incremental delta us tsm, and to restore it
    restore db <sid> incremental automatic take at <timestamp>

As for your other problem, if you have all the logs that you want to rollforward to, just issue the following command

rollforward db <sid> to end of logs and complete
    and if your already to that point,
    rollforward db <sid> and complete. This will allow you to bring db2 backup up as long as you have rolled past all the logs that are required by the online backup.

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

hello sir u haven't yet given me solution to my problem???

Try to use restore db with redirect option. You could find this article in IBM Website.

Try the following steps :

Looks like you are missing some of the log files in the current logpath. So, use the following command:

db2 rollforward database pathalb to end of logs and complete OVERFLOW LOG PATH (log-directory)

Are logs missing from the logpath? Or do you have them saved somewhere else and is db2 unable to access them? If that is the case then the overflow logpath in the rollforward command will help. If that is not the case and the log files are truly lost then you need to know what the minimum point in time for recovery is for the online backup. Try to rollforward to an improbable time like last year - the database should prompt you what the minimum poin in time for recovery is. Remember the point in time which should be specified should be in CUT ie GMT. If the db is past that time, because it has been rolled forward somewhat, then hopefully there are copies of the original logs available. It might help to restore again, issue the improbable rollforward to ensure the minimum point in time again and then rollforward again to that point-in-time. If logs are truly lost and this is a production system, contact IBM support and they should be able to help you in some manner. If this is a production system, I would recommend that you to do anything in conjunction with IBM Support's Sev 1 team.

I have been there (with truly lost logs) and multi-TB database - I empathize with you.

I'd like to add one more thing in response to the original posting.
    You can not do a restore without rolling forward if you are restoring from an online backup.

Other thing is to note that the rollforward time is CUT( International time), as pointed out in a response above. The timestamp on your backup file is NOT in CUT, which creates this confusion. It took me a long time to figure this out once when I was in your situation.

The best thing would be to try rolling forward to the timestamp which it give back in the message and use " and complete" instead of Stop.

Hope it'll help.

-Preeti

offline backup and restore

Do you have a good offline backup? You can restore from an offline backup without the need to rollforward thru log files. We had to do this fairly recently due to a bug in DB2 UDB 7.2 while rolling forward (its not fixed until FP11!).