Thread: tabbed forms

Unanswered: tabbed forms

Is it possible to a tab control form with different queries linked to each tab on the form?

Re: tabbed forms

Originally posted by leeroy
    Is it possible to a tab control form with different queries linked to each tab on the form?
    You could place subforms that are linked to different queries on each tab....

Would this be like having all the queries open at the same time or would it open each one as it's clicked on. I want to setup quite a few tabs but if this is going to be a huge resource issue I'll have to see about doing it another way.

Originally posted by leeroy
    Would this be like having all the queries open at the same time or would it open each one as it's clicked on. I want to setup quite a few tabs but if this is going to be a huge resource issue I'll have to see about doing it another way.
    Yes, they will all be open at the same time.

"Quite a few tabs" is a bit open ended. Is that 3 or 30? An advantage of using the subform per tab design is that the user takes the hit in resources up front to load the recordsets and objects. Then clicking from tab to tab allows almost instant gratification as the recordset is already waiting.

Digressing for a second: I am assuming you really want to display a form to the users, not a query.

Whether this hit on resources will be too big is dependent on many factors: size of the recordset, complexity of the query, number of objects, hardware, etc.

ALternatively there are other design approaches you can use. Command buttons on a parent form in lieu of tabs, with each command button designating a change in sourceobject to a single subform.
    Visually there needn't be much difference for the user.

Cheers, Bill