Red face Unanswered: Unable to Run SQLServer Agent

Dear Friends,

I am running a financial application that uses MSSql 7.00 Desktop Edition as the backend database on a Windows 98 machine. I believe this machine got hacked and now I am unable to start SQLServer Agent, or anything from the MSSQL Entreprise Manager. Anytime I try the agent I get this error:

Login failed for 'sa'. SQL state 28000
    Unable to connect to server. SQLServer Agent cannot start...

Needless to say I cannot do any backup or run any jobs of any sort. The application I am using (Solomon) can still access, write and edit the database because I think it has system access. However, I cannot access my data externally. In the meantime, I cannot apply any patches or upgrade to the latest version because I don't have a rollback version of my data.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

R Fabary

Re: Unable to Run SQLServer Agent

most probably u'r sa password has been changed.
    reset it and change the password in the logon properties in services.

Red face Unable to Run SQLServer Agent

Well, I've tried to reset the sa password but no luck. That's my dilemma. I cannot reset the sa password nor register a new server. Any clues? Thank again..

RF

Re: Unable to Run SQLServer Agent

RE:
    Dear Friends,
    I am running a financial application that uses MSSql 7.00 Desktop Edition as the backend database on a Windows 98 machine. I believe this machine got hacked and now I am unable to start SQLServer Agent, or anything from the MSSQL Entreprise Manager. Anytime I try the agent I get this error: Login failed for 'sa'. SQL state 28000 Unable to connect to server. SQLServer Agent cannot start... Needless to say I cannot do any backup or run any jobs of any sort. The application I am using (Solomon) can still access, write and edit the database because I think it has system access. However, I cannot access my data externally. In the meantime, I cannot apply any patches or upgrade to the latest version because I don't have a rollback version of my data.

Q1 Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated. R Fabary
    A1 If another login exists that is a member of the sysadmin server role, attempt to use it reset the sa password, back up, etc., etc.,.

In any case, one might well redo the compromised server (OS and Sql Server), preferably on a Win NT, Win 2k, or XP OS instead of a Win 98 OS, and use new secure passwords. Fully patch / update the server, then restore each user DB from backups taken before the incident. It may also be possible to attach the DB files (MDF LDF) on a newly installed server, however user / login issues may result.