Angry Unanswered: SQL-EM problem in SQL2000 SP3

Having updated my SQL2000 to SP3, SQL Enterprise Manager now crashes when I right-click on a database and choose properties.

Has anyone else experienced the same behaviour?

If not.... does anyone know how to sort this out?

Any help greatly appreciated...
    Andy

Re: SQL-EM problem in SQL2000 SP3

I do not know how to sort it out, but I am not experiencing the same behaviour. I tried right-clicking databases that had SP3 applied (local) and on databases that were running patched versions of SP2. I did not try it on SQL 7.0 instances.

Sorry your having trouble. I hope you get it worked out. I wuld love to see an answer.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by MealinA
    Having updated my SQL2000 to SP3, SQL Enterprise Manager now crashes when I right-click on a database and choose properties.

Has anyone else experienced the same behaviour?

If not.... does anyone know how to sort this out?

Question Re: SQL-EM problem in SQL2000 SP3

RE:

Q1 Has anyone else experienced the same behaviour?
    A1 No.

Question I

Does this occur using EM at the console and from all remote EM connections i.e.(different workstations)?

RE:
    Q2 If not.... does anyone know how to sort this out?

A2 One suggestion would be to logically and systematically investigate the issue. For example:

a If the answer to Question I is "No", then the issue is likely localized to the machine(s) on which it occurs. (In which case looking at available memory on the machine(s) the issue exists on, would be one obvious suggestion.)

b If the answer to Question I is "Yes", then the issue may be a general effect of upgrading Sql Server 2k to SP3 in your environment. (In which case looking at what is interesting about your environment would be a logical suggestion.)
    Last edited by DBA; 01-29-03 at 12:48.

I have this problem from 2 Win2K SP2 workstations. I do not have the problem on any Win2K SP3 or WinXP SP1 workstations. I think that the probem is in MMC and that Win2K SP3 fixes it. I have not upgraded yet to see if that is the cause but I suspect that it will.

I am on win2k SP3 already but I will try reinstalling win2k SP3. Thanks very much for the tip.
    Andy

I will try reinstalling win2k SP3
    No luck with that. The problem is still there.....

Any further help will be appreciated.....
    Andy

Just a thought. I also installed SP3 for Analysis Services . Is there anyone out there who has installed both and does not have the problem?
    Andy

RE:
    Any further help will be appreciated.....
    The issue may be localized to the machine(s) on which it occurs, e.g.(corrupt EM install, registry keys, dlls, etc., or possibly simply a lack of memory issue).

If you have not done so already, try increasing the virtual memory on the machine(s) the issue exists on (if that does not address the issue, try uninstalling EM, reset the machine and reinstall EM later).

Does the error occur using EM at the console and from all remote EM connections i.e.(different workstations)?

Thanks for your reply DBA.

The machine in question has 1GB Ram. SQL2K Developer edition is installed. The problem occurs when addressing the local server and remote servers (SP3 and SP2). Other machines that have not been upgraded to SP3 can access the servers and the databases on my machine without a problem.

I assume that to uninstall EM I need to uninstall the whole of SQL and reinstall it. Do you think it is worth trying the repair option on the SQL install disc and re-applying SP3 before uninstalling and re-installing?

Thanks
    Last edited by MealinA; 01-30-03 at 20:44.
    Andy

My SQL EM issue

I have had an issue with EM closing with a handled access violation in the following scenario: Windows 2000 on a LAN, apply SP3 for both SQL Server and Analysis Services. Open EM, New DTS Package, New SQL Server Connection object, pull down combo box to list SQL Servers. It blows up every time. ( I have repeated test on 2 different workstations.)

Only clue: These machines were built from CD, System File Protection fires while applying the service pack, asking for Windows 2000 CD, which I did not have at hand. SFC /SCANNOW seems to temporarily fix the problem, but it comes back. I speculate that a machine with its Windows 2000 CD on a visible share may fix this problem transparently on the fly, but can't know for sure.

I have some indication from another forum that this may be a known issue. I am not sur eif this is what you are encountering.

Here is the workaround for the specific AV I know of: Type in the server name in the combo box, rather than using the mouse to pull it down. Then all is happy.

Unhappy

I have tried running SFC, re-applying Win2K SP3, then SQL2K SP3 then SQL2K ASP3. The problem is still there. All other aspects of EM seem to work fine, only Database Properties throws the error.

Still struggling
    Andy

Originally posted by MealinA
    I have tried running SFC, re-applying Win2K SP3, then SQL2K SP3 then SQL2K ASP3. The problem is still there. All other aspects of EM seem to work fine, only Database Properties throws the error.

Still struggling
    A while ago I had issues related to different MDAC versions on the workstations, although not with SP3 installed on SQL Server. You might try to install a different MDAC version on a workstation.

Ad Dieleman.

Talking I fixed mine

I found that sqldmo.dll and sqldmo.rll were being written to my winnt\system32 directory every time that I start EM. The versions being copied there were old versions and since winnt\system32 is before MS SQL Server in the path the old files were being used. I beleive that a program named AGS SQL Scribe Documentation Builder by AGS Software was doing thi. I deleted the old files from winnt\system32 and uninstalled AGS SQL Scribe Documentation Builder. This seems to have fixed the problem on my workstation. I hope that this helps.

Wow that's a great spot. I have SQL Scribe on my notebook. So it could be that. I don't want to uninstall SQL Scribe as I use it every week to generate the latest schema's on our development projects at work. What I will try and do is somehow replace the ones that SQL Scribe is placing there so that it does not throw a problem.

Many thanks for this and I will post back the outcome.
    Andy

Thumbs up

Bingo - Spot on....

Mr Moderator please give the man the maximum points!

Here are the steps if you want to keep SQL Scribe:

Take care (and backups of the files). Mistakes with these commands can kill machines.....

1) unregister the sqldmo.dll in WINNT\SYSTEM32

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /u c:\winnt\system32\sqldmo.dll
    2) delete sqldmo.dll and sqldmo.rll from winnt\system32

3) copy the latest sqldmo.dll and sqldmo.rll from the sql installation to winnt\system. In a standard installation they will be located at:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqldmo.dll
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033\sqldmo.rll

4) register the sqldmo.dll in WINNT\SYSTEM32

Code:
    regsvr32.exe c:\winnt\system32\sqldmo.dll
    5)Reboot your machine (recommended but not essential)

6) Grin broadly from ear to ear - the misery is over
    Last edited by MealinA; 02-04-03 at 18:29.
    Andy