Unanswered: connection issues

Hi,

what all I need to check / set in order to connect to the server using isql / osql / bcp , nothing is working for me. I am on server, using command prompt . I reinstalled client and I am able to connect to server using EM , QA no problem , only problem is using isql / osql / bcp as follows:

isql -Usa -SSQL2000 -Psa123

DB-Library: Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access denied.
    Net-Library error 67: ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

for BCP :

bcp ##abc1 out abc1.out -Usa -SSQL2000 -Psa123

SQLState = 08001, NativeError = 17
    Error = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    SQLState = 01000, NativeError = 67
    Warning = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

need to fix it today. please reply !

Re: connection issues

Q1 what all I need to check / set in order to connect to the server using isql / osql / bcp , nothing is working for me.

A1 It depends on what the issue is. For example:

you may wish to use osql -SSQL2000 -E or the file
    ConnectSql2000.udl.txt to verify connectivity (remove .txt extension, double click and test).

Something to consider:
    Is this a default instance on a server named Sql2000 or a named instance?

{More detailed information (including the Sql Server, MDAC, etc. versions involved, etc.), should make it easier for others to provide more useful / helpful feedback.}

RE:
    ConnectSql2000.udl.txt to verify connectivity (remove .txt extension, double click and test).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dear DBA Guru,

Thanks for your reply. I download your file , removed .txt and double clicked on it got error after I clicked on test connection on Data Link Properties , error is :

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectioOpen] (Connect()),]SQL server does not exist or access denied.

Test connection succeeded, if I select 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, and select a data source which I created for my server.

More info : its a named server , not default server. Its installed using SQLEVAL.exe downloaded from microsoft.com, version is SQL Server 2000.

Please help.

Originally posted by DBA
    Q1 what all I need to check / set in order to connect to the server using isql / osql / bcp , nothing is working for me.

A1 It depends on what the issue is. For example:

Something to consider:
    Is this a default instance on a server named Sql2000 or a named instance?

{More detailed information (including the Sql Server, MDAC, etc. versions involved, etc.), should make it easier for others to provide more useful / helpful feedback.}

RE:
    Thanks for your reply.
    error is :
    Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectioOpen] (Connect()),]SQL server does not exist or access denied.
    Test connection succeeded, if I select 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, and select a data source which I created for my server.
    More info : its a named server , not default server. Its installed using SQLEVAL.exe downloaded from microsoft.com, version is SQL Server 2000.
    Q2 Please help.
    You are welcome.

A2 Use osql (Isql does not support named instances), and for example:

-SServerName\InstanceName (to specify the server and instance)

MUCH THANKS to DBA GURU

Hi Guru,

it worked. -SSERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME. Worked for isql , osql and BCP.

Much thanks for your help.

Cheers!
    Ram

Re: MUCH THANKS to DBA GURU

RE
    Hi Guru,
    it worked. -SSERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME. Worked for isql , osql and BCP. Much thanks for your help.
    Cheers! Ram
    You are welcome.

You may wish to consider using osql instead of isql. While the isql.exe distributed with the eval version may work with named instances, isql does not (officially) support connecting to a named instance of SQL Server 2000. (Applications developed relying on the behavior of isql.exe distributed with the evaluation version may not perform as expected in production.)

I will take it, I just more use to isql because I worked as a Sybase DBA. learning MS SQL Server. but I will use OSQL .

Thanks and Regards,
    Ram

Originally posted by ramshree
    I will take it, I just more use to isql because I worked as a Sybase DBA. learning MS SQL Server. but I will use OSQL .

Thanks and Regards,
    Ram
    You are welcome.

(Just trying to spare you some grief, MS has kind of ignored support for isql in the past several years, since releasing osql. Evaluation and beta product differences have caused considerable pain as well.)

As far as Sybase goes, you are in good company, the MS Sql Server DBMS "worked" as a Sybase DBMS entity before becoming a MS entity, as well (numerous vestiges of that lineage still remain, even in MS Sql Server 2k).

Hi Guru,

How are you?

I like Sybase more but have no choice since lot of companies moving from Sybase to either MS SQL Server, Oracle or DB2. and since I know Sybase very well , the close one to learn is SQL Server, 95% its same except GUI stuff of EM but I am not impress. still I like to work on UNIX .
    Have you tried Perl scripting using DBI to do stuff of SQL Server? I dont know if I can write Perl script using DBI to do SQL Server database work on NT / Windows. have you wrote perl scripts using DBI on NT / Windows? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ram.