Angry Unanswered: SQL Server Flat File import problem

OK, I'm relatively a SQL newbie, so just chuckle at what I have to write here :-)

That said, I'm trying to import a flat text file (.log), space delimited file, into a SQL 2000 database. It hast SP2 on it as well. When I start the DTS wizard, it runs fine until it hits row 10996. At that point, I get the following error:

"Too many columns found in the current row; non-white space characters were found after the last defined column's data."

The file is a log file from teh IIS web service, specifically of type IISW3C. There are no problems with any of the individual files being used (I've manually imported all of them to check for formatting errors). I am creating the importing file by running a batch file:

copy ex*.log exmaster.log

this copies all of the daily logs into the master log file. The problem occurs with the copying process I believe.

In short, am I going over a file-size with the file I am trying to import? Is it simply missing an EOF tag? Or is there a simple way to import multiple flat files simultaneously in SQL that I am overlooking? Any help is much appreciated in advance.

David Dimmick

Re: SQL Server Flat File import problem

RE:
    When I start the DTS wizard, it runs fine until it hits row 10996. At that point, I get the following error:

"Too many columns found in the current row; non-white space characters were found after the last defined column's data."
    This suggests an extra delimiter or other similar error; you may wish to consider transforming the input file to clean up the data, or perhaps using bulk insert, or a bulk insert task and specifying a certain number of allowable error rows (or bcp may optionally send the error rows to an errfile).