Thread: Cache errors

Unanswered: Cache errors

I've been administrating a system för over 3 years without having any "real" problems until now.. so I hope you can help.

The problem is in some tabels. Running for example a select * from... generates the following message:

Server Message: Number 697, Severity 21
    Line 1:
    An attempt was made to fetch logical page '14480' for object '343672272' in database '5' from cache 'default data cache'. Wrong logical page '1197021' was found in cache.
    Server Message: Number 5702, Severity 10
    Line 1:
    The SQL Server is terminating this process.
    Failure has occurred in CT-Library call. Connection is no longer usable and will be automatically dropped.

A look at the sybase support website resulted in this:
    ---------------------------
    Error 697
    Severity

Error Message
    An attempt was made to fetch logical page '%ld'
    for object '%ld' in database '%d' from cache '%.*s'.
    Wrong logical page '%ld' was found in cache.

Note: This message was introduced in Version 11.0.3 to improve the ability to diagnose 605 object ID mismatch errors. Some errors that previously raised the 605 error are now reported as 697 errors. These errors can be due to hardware problems.

Explanation
    This error occurs when Adaptive Server tries to access an object in cache but arrives at an invalid page. The page number is correct on disk, but it does not match the page number of the page in memory.

Error 697 results in a stack trace and breaks your connection to Adaptive Server.

Action
    Since the problem occurs in cache, it is a soft error. Shut down and restart Adaptive Server to clear the memory corruption.

Versions in Which This Error is Raised
    11.0.3 and later

The problem is that restart dosn't help. Any hint on where I shold look next or maybe a solution to my problem?

I'm running an old version of ASE on tru64unix.. More precise:
    Adaptive Server Enterprise/11.5.1/P/Digital UNIX/4.0/SWR 8307 Rollup/OPT/Sat Feb 6 00:53:25 PST 1999

Re: Cache errors

You should talk with your unix admin and have him/her make sure there are no hardware errors.
    -Carl

Originally posted by kryptonit
    I've been administrating a system för over 3 years without having any "real" problems until now.. so I hope you can help.

The problem is in some tabels. Running for example a select * from... generates the following message:

Server Message: Number 697, Severity 21
    Line 1:
    An attempt was made to fetch logical page '14480' for object '343672272' in database '5' from cache 'default data cache'. Wrong logical page '1197021' was found in cache.
    Server Message: Number 5702, Severity 10
    Line 1:
    The SQL Server is terminating this process.
    Failure has occurred in CT-Library call. Connection is no longer usable and will be automatically dropped.

A look at the sybase support website resulted in this:
    Error 697
    Severity

Error Message
    An attempt was made to fetch logical page '%ld'
    for object '%ld' in database '%d' from cache '%.*s'.
    Wrong logical page '%ld' was found in cache.

Note: This message was introduced in Version 11.0.3 to improve the ability to diagnose 605 object ID mismatch errors. Some errors that previously raised the 605 error are now reported as 697 errors. These errors can be due to hardware problems.

Explanation
    This error occurs when Adaptive Server tries to access an object in cache but arrives at an invalid page. The page number is correct on disk, but it does not match the page number of the page in memory.

Error 697 results in a stack trace and breaks your connection to Adaptive Server.

Action
    Since the problem occurs in cache, it is a soft error. Shut down and restart Adaptive Server to clear the memory corruption.

Versions in Which This Error is Raised
    11.0.3 and later

The problem is that restart dosn't help. Any hint on where I shold look next or maybe a solution to my problem?

I'm running an old version of ASE on tru64unix.. More precise:
    Adaptive Server Enterprise/11.5.1/P/Digital UNIX/4.0/SWR 8307 Rollup/OPT/Sat Feb 6 00:53:25 PST 1999

Re: Cache errors

Originally posted by cdotger
    You should talk with your unix admin and have him/her make sure there are no hardware errors.
    -Carl
    Here are some info on how you not should do if simular problems appear...

After many hours of work we know that it probably was an hardware error (RAM) that made the server crash and the crash resulted in this.

We discovered that there were 3 rows in the damaged table that was corrupt. With "select <field> from <table> where..." some info was avalible. We then suspected that it could be some form of corruption in the indexes and that a drop and create of those could fix the problem.
    This didn't fix the problem, it made it worse. Every sql-question now results in error 697. (just that table)
    With bcp we are able to output 1000 rows out of 12000.

Right now we're investigating if we can recover the table from our backup...
    Sometimes it's no fun to be an admin of a rather large timecritical system :/

The solution was:
    1. "dbcc pglinkage" to find the pages that were corrupt.
    2. Save the output from select * from sysindexes to file.
    3. Bcp out as much data as possible.
    4. sp_configure "allow updates", 1
    go
    begin tran
    go
    update sysindexes set first=<pagenumber after corruption> where id=<table id> and indid=<index id>
    go
    //** If you get one row affected **//
    commit tran go
    5. dbcc cacheremove(dbid, objname)
    6. bcp out the rest of the table.
    7. create a new table to bcp the data into, if this works fine you can
    rename the old table (or drop it) and rename the new table to the same as the old table.