Thread: Access Security

Unanswered: Access Security

Is there a way once access user level security is enabled to allow the admin to change the names of queries/tables/forms while there are other users with lower level of security in the db. Is there a way to set the locks in the db to alow the admin to do this?
    Currently the admin is locked out because the other users are in the db and I need to know if there is a way around that.
    Jim

No, you can not edit anything while a user has it open. The only thing you can do is set up a way to kick everyone out of the database

Originally posted by tsyscps
    No, you can not edit anything while a user has it open. The only thing you can do is set up a way to kick everyone out of the database
    any ideas on that?

yes, I used a form to do so.

Make a MACRO called (for example) SystemBoot. In the macro, choose STOPMACRO. Save it and close.

Make a form and call it (for example) SystemBoot. Gop to PROPERTIES and scroll down to ON TIMER (its at the bottom). In the ON TIMER slot, choose that macro you just created. You will also see an Interval (1000 = 1 second so set it to 10,000 (no comma) so it runs every 10 seconds). Save and close

Create another macro (or you may already have it) that is called AUTOEXEC (it MUST be named this). use option OPEN FORM and choose that form you just created and choose HIDDEN under WINDOW MODE. Save and exit

Heres what you just did. You created a form the opens when the database opens and refreshes every 10 seconds. The STOP MACRO means do nothing. When you need to kick people out, open that SYSTEMBOOT macro and put in MSGBOX and type a messae telling everyone the database will close in 30 seconds and they need to exit. Save the marco and the next time it runs (every 10 seconds) it will display that message box. After everyone has had enough warning, open the SYSTEM BOOT macro again and choose RUN COMMAND and choose EXIT. The next time the macro runs, they will be booted out of Access.

I strongly suggest you do the message box or you may piss a lot of people off.

If you get kicked out of the database, reopen it BUT hold down the SHIFT key when you do (if you have a login box, hold it down AFTER you have already typed the username and password and hit enter AFTER you hold down the shift key). Continuing holding down the shift key until you see the databse window. This overrides and startup procedures yuo had in place.

Good Idea tsyscps ,

Problem when I tried your solution is that I can't change the Macro and save it as I don't have exclusive rights to the Database which takes me back to why I want to boot users.

Your advice, please.

Cheers

Heres a suggestion

If you are the only database administrator. Make sure you have the database to yourself (i.e when its sunny and no one is using it.) Open Access and use the File toolbar and select open. Find and single select your database, next to the open button on the browser there will be a little drop down arrow select on that arrow and select 'Open Exclusively'. Ensure you have your shift key depressed as explained above. You can change things then. This may not be any help as you may have tried this already. but there you go anyway.

Col_Bol

Thumbs up

What I did was create a table called boot and put a text box there. The macro looks at the table and says if value is STOP, do nothing, if value is WARN, show message, if value is EXIT, close database.

Of course you will need a hidden form to open this table and the macro should look at the hidden form.