Unanswered: transation log backup

Hi,

Is it possible to take database transaction log backup after every 30 min to differnet file or have to use append / overwrite?

any idea ?

Pluse can we set an alert to check if transaction log is crossed its 60% of free space?

Please let me know.

Re: transation log backup

1. I'm not entirely certain I understand your first question. Can you schedule a transaction log backup every 30 minutes? Certainly.

Can you overwrite an existing transaction log backup? I'm certain you can, but doing so will make it impossible to restore the database, so I think I misinterpreted your question.

2. Look at SQL Agent/Alerts in Enterprise Manager. Set up a new Alert that uses SQL Server Performance Condition Alert. Set object = SQLServer:Databases and Counter = Percent Log Used. Set your value to 60 and then define what you want the server to do when the counter reaches that value (normally, kick off a transaction log backup).

If you want to be e-mailed when this occurs, you will need to have SQL Mail running.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by ramshree
    Hi,

Is it possible to take database transaction log backup after every 30 min to differnet file or have to use append / overwrite?

any idea ?

Pluse can we set an alert to check if transaction log is crossed its 60% of free space?

Please let me know.
    Last edited by hmscott; 02-04-03 at 15:05.