Unanswered: Date Column Format

Right now, when I insert a row containing a column with the date data type, I insert "05-Feb-2003" and all inserts well. When I look into the database with the "Table Data Editor" in "DBA Studio", I get "05-Feb-2003 12:00:00 AM". First off, the time is wrong so I want to make it where the column ONLY has "05-Feb-2003". Can someone help me out? Thanks, Jeremy
    Nothing better than a good ride.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Date Column Format

All Oracle DATE columns have a time component without exception. If no time is specified, this defaults to 00:00:00, i.e. 12:00:00AM. If you don't want to see the time component, you must change the display format: I don't know whether you can do that in DBA Studio, or how, but the fact is that it is a DBA Studio setting issue and NOT a data issue.

I found the problem. Some how, the information being inserted into Oracle is being modified as the date should read:

05-Feb-2003

But it's reading:

20-Feb-0005 03:00:00 AM

Can you help? Thanks, Jeremy

How is the data being inserted? If it is via INSERT statements then you should use the TO_DATE function with a specified format mask, like this:

INSERT INTO tab (date1, ... ) VALUES (TO_DATE('05-FEB-2003','DD-MON-YYYY'), ...);

Probably what is happening is this:

INSERT INTO tab (date1, ... ) VALUES ('05-FEB-2003', ...);

This makes Oracle do an implicit conversion from VARCHAR2 to DATE using the default date format mask. In your case, this appears to be something like 'YY-MON-DDHH', which would explain the garbled date.

Alernatively, if you are inserting via a screen then it seems to expect you to enter dates backwards, e.g. 03-FEB-05 for 05 Feb 2003

Ok, do you see anything wrong with this:

Code:
    OraCon.Execute "INSERT INTO QUOTES (QUOTE_NUM,QUOTE_COMP,QUOTE_CREATOR," & _
        "QUOTE_MODIFIER,QUOTE_SELLER,QUOTE_BUYER,QUOTE_PO_NUM,QUOTE_PART_NUM," & _
        "QUOTE_PART_NAME,QUOTE_C_DATE,QUOTE_M_DATE,QUOTE_REV) VALUES ('" & txtQuoteNum.Text & "','" & _
        cmbCustomer.Text & "','" & txtEstimator.Text & "','" & txtEstimator.Text & "','" & _
        cmbSeller.Text & "','" & cmbBuyer.Text & "','" & txtPONum.Text & "','" & _
        txtPartNum.Text & "','" & txtPartName.Text & "',TO_DATE('" & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','dd-mmm-yyy'),TO_DATE('" & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','dd-mmm-yyyy'),'" & txtRevision.Text & "')"
    ? I'm getting an invalid date format during the insert. Thanks alot, Jeremy

TO_DATE('" & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','dd-mmm-yyy')
    I'm not familiar with the Format function, but I presume it returns '05-FEB-2003' for today's date?

The format mask for TO_DATE is wrong in 2 ways:
    1) MMM should be MON
    2) YYY shoukd be YYYY

So try:

TO_DATE('" & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','dd-mon-yyyy')

THANK YOU!!!!!

Talking try this

hi,
    Try using to_char(txtdate,'dd-mmm-yyyy') instead of to date

I think this should work.
    bi.
    Gautham

Re: try this

Originally posted by egautham
    hi,
    Try using to_char(txtdate,'dd-mmm-yyyy') instead of to date

I think this should work.
    bi.
    Gautham
    No, that is quite wrong. To convert a text string like txtdate to a date, you must use TO_DATE not TO_CHAR!