Question Unanswered: php and mysql -- in chinese?

Hello everybody,

I have a problem, basicly I have to create a database, which majority will be implemented in english, but will need to have chinese characters in it. The main table of the database will be storing filenames and paths, both of which are in chinese...

I have to basicly create a database containing chinese filenames, and a php frontend to select a filename and have it playback.

The main problem is not the implementation of a database and php script to play back media, the problem is doing it in chinese. Does SQL, specificly mysql support foriegn characters?

I would just like to know if this is possible, and if so, how I would go about it.

Any advice/links appreciated.

I don't know about MySQL, but in Oracle you start up the instance with the National Language support set to Chinese in the initialisation file. It may be worth you looking at the MySQL configuration to see whether multi byte characters are supported and if this is configurable.

Since my last I have found a link to how to it in the MySQL documentation at the URL to below

http://www.mysql.com/doc/c/o/configure_options.html