Unanswered: stored procedure recordset looping

I have searched high and low for examples of stored procedures.
    they are hard to find!
    What I need to do is loop through a recordset inside my sp.

DECLARE @PlacePK int
    SET @PlacePK = 0
    WHILE @PlacePK IS NOT NULL
    BEGIN
    SET @PlacePK = (SELECT PlacePK FROM Place)
    INSERT INTO LimitsToPlace (PlaceFK,GuestKeyFK,DailyLimit,TotalLimit) VALUES ( @PlacePK,@GuestKeyPK,@LimitAmount, @LimitAmount )
    END

the error I get here is @PlacePK cannot accept multiple returns
    This code doesnt seem right to me cause my "make rs" is inside the loop. I would think it should be something like
    WHILE(@PlacePK = (SELECT PlacePK FROM Place))

does anyone have some code examples I can look at to see how to do recordset looping.

more questions ...
    the EXEC() function is not clear to me and the ms help files dont help enough.
    can I do this?

EXEC("UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = '" + @CardInternalNumberFK + "'")
    or just

EXEC(UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = @CardInternalNumberFK)
    and if i can do the 2nd one and CardInternalNumber is a varchar do I have to add something like

EXEC(UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = QUOTENAME(@CardInternalNumberFK))

or do I have to build it as a var then exec the var
    DECLARE @SQL varchar(2000)
    SET @SQL = "UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = '" + @CardInternalNumberFK + "'"
    EXEC(@SQL)

or I just use it straight as
    UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = @CardInternalNumberFK

Lorddog (thank you for your time)

try:
    Code:
    DECLARE @PlacePK int
    select @PlacePK = min(PlacePK) FROM Place
    WHILE @PlacePK IS NOT NULL
    BEGIN
       INSERT INTO LimitsToPlace (PlaceFK,GuestKeyFK,DailyLimit,TotalLimit) VALUES ( @PlacePK,@GuestKeyPK,@LimitAmount, @LimitAmount )
       select @PlacePK = min(PlacePK) FROM Place where PlacePK > @PlacePK
    END
    as for the EXECUTE()

UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = @CardInternalNumberFK

should work without the EXECUTE(). if @CardInternalNumberFK is a char/varchar and CardInternalNumber is an int then try:

UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = cast(@CardInternalNumberFK as int)
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Re: stored procedure recordset looping

ok during the time I was searching around and I found cursors
    I tryied this code and I guess this is the way to go

DECLARE @PlacePK int
    DECLARE Place_cursor CURSOR FOR
    SELECT PlacePK FROM Place
    OPEN Place_cursor
    FETCH NEXT FROM Place_cursor INTO @PlacePK
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
    INSERT INTO LimitsToPlace (PlaceFK,GuestKeyFK,DailyLimit,TotalLimit) VALUES (@PlacePK,@GuestKeyPK,@LimitAmount,@LimitAmount)
    FETCH NEXT FROM Place_cursor INTO @PlacePK
    END
    CLOSE Place_cursor
    DEALLOCATE Place_cursor

also @CardInternalNumber is a varchar because it has to have leading 0's
    -insidently this is a proxy card read from a device connected to a com port. Kind of a neat project.

many thanks for your time.

Although a cursor would solve your problem, they are expensive to use. The example I provided is the less resource intensive alternative to a cursor. IMHO cursors should be avoided at all costs.

My fisrt example on @CardInternalNumber would work provided @CardInternalNumber and CardInternalNumber are of the same type.

I didn't consider that your question was more on EXECUTE() than the statment your were trying to execute. Did you need an example for EXECUTE()?
    Paul Young

I have had no formal training so there are alot of things I dont (wish I did) know about what is going on with t-sql. although I have been using it to build 6 joins and substring parsing and stuff it is very helpful for you to point out reasons why to use commands this way or that.

I will adopt back to your way of doing the looping. It is a very smart way to do it.

about the execute I mainly was wondering why I couldnt build my string in the command.

although I have work with Sybase, Ingres, Oracle and MSSQL Srvr I too have not had any formal training. I have had time to figure out what works.

for the EXECUTE:

Code:
    EXEC("UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = '" + @CardInternalNumberFK + "'")
    should have worked. I personnaly prefer the following

Code:
    DECLARE @SQL varchar(2000), @Debug bit
    set @Debug = 1
    SET @SQL = "UPDATE CardNumber SET Status = 'Assigned' WHERE CardInternalNumber = '" + @CardInternalNumberFK + "'"
    if (@Debug > 0)
       raiserror('@SQL: %s',0,1,@SQL)
    else
       EXEC(@SQL)
    I generally use this in stored procedures. If I start to have a problem I can pass 1 for the @Debug parm and get diagnostics.
    Paul Young