Question Unanswered: Structured Query Language

[Sorry, i posted this in the wrong area, and I could not delete it. It does have relevance to DB2, as well as SQL Server and Oracle]

What, if any, are the differences between the structued query language used in Oracle versus SQL Server? I've read some manuals and seen reference to ANSI92 standards for both database servers. Does this mean that any SQL statement valid in SQL Server is also valid in Oracle? How about DB2?

The reason i ask:
    The company I work for used MSAccess as the main database for many years. We recently saw a need to move to a database which allows for better managed transactions. We could not afford the downtime associated with a re-write of the associated code to move from Access, so we wrote a library of routines which would, based on a compile-directive (VB6) use either DAO for our existing Access customers, or an ActiveX library of emulation classes which "looked" like DAO, but used ADO behind the scenes and parsed the Access structured query language to conform to SQL Server's expectations.

This has all been done over the last year, and we actually succeeded in the zero-down-time on the code using this method. Now my curiosities are piqued and it would be excellent if all the work we put into parsing the statements was applicable to other databases (eg. Oracle, DB2, etc).
    Last edited by JeffJonsson; 02-07-03 at 12:14.
    Jeff Jonsson

if you stick to ansi sql, then oracle, db2, and sql server will all work

all generalities are flawed, including that one

by starting with microsoft access, you were, unfortunately, exposed to a database system that is more non-standard than any of those others

my advice to you is to spend as much time and effort in understanding the nuances of each database's syntax as you might spend in "abstracting" your code

code that will work in all databases may not work terribly well in any

rudy

I have been reading quite a bit about the DB2 SQL and the Oracle SQL, and they do seem very similar.

Any idea where I can get a document outlining straight ANSI SQL?
    Last edited by JeffJonsson; 02-07-03 at 12:30.
    Jeff Jonsson

unfortunately, there are few resources on the web devoted to standard sql

all of the ones i am aware of are linked in this FAQ on, ahem, another forum -- ANSI SQL FAQ

rudy

Thanks for your thorough and quick respones, Rudy!! Muchly appreciated!
    Jeff Jonsson