Unanswered: Visio install killed SQL server!

Hello,

I had a standard edition sql svr 2k (sp2) installation running locally on my win2k server laptop. I went and installed visio (2000 enterprise with SR1 - which is running correctly) and now my sql server install is hosed!!!

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the sqlagent was running when visio installed the MSDE 1. After the install, I was able to perform a "select count(*)..." on a local db table and receive a value back, but EM wouldn't connect to either my local containers or my production server running elsewhere on the domain - even through the sqlagent had the green "play" triangle has its status.

I am receiving a "General OLE Error 16386" when I try to connect to sql server EM. I could connect to the local db's via Query Analyzer and run a "select count(*)..."

I did the suggestion (http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=585341) to no avail. And have done a repair installation of sql svr - also to no avail. After the custom/repair install the sqlagent won't start.

I'm not ready to try a full install yet as I'm hopeing other suggestions will pop up.

Thankx,
    Rick

Re: Visio install killed SQL server!

I see a format c:\ in your future!

There's not too much good that I can see in your description of the problem. Visio does have the option to install MSDE when you install Visio. I think it is an option, however, and you can deselect it.

I would try uninstalling Visio, uninstall SQL and then do either:

1. Reinstall SQL and then reinstall Visio WITHOUT MSDE; or

2. Reinstall Visio with MSDE and skip the SQL (server) install. You can, of course, install the SQL client tools.

If neither of these works, you may well have a rebuild in store for yourself, though I would certainly get a second opinion before going that far. I'm speaking purely from a hypthetical perspective as I have not encountered this problem myself. I do have Visio 2002 on my laptop along with the developer edition of SQL. Though I rebuilt the box recently from the ground up, I don't remember having any trouble with these two programs in particular.

Best of luck!

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by reden55
    Hello,

I had a standard edition sql svr 2k (sp2) installation running locally on my win2k server laptop. I went and installed visio (2000 enterprise with SR1 - which is running correctly) and now my sql server install is hosed!!!

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the sqlagent was running when visio installed the MSDE 1. After the install, I was able to perform a "select count(*)..." on a local db table and receive a value back, but EM wouldn't connect to either my local containers or my production server running elsewhere on the domain - even through the sqlagent had the green "play" triangle has its status.

I am receiving a "General OLE Error 16386" when I try to connect to sql server EM. I could connect to the local db's via Query Analyzer and run a "select count(*)..."

I did the suggestion (http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=585341) to no avail. And have done a repair installation of sql svr - also to no avail. After the custom/repair install the sqlagent won't start.

I'm not ready to try a full install yet as I'm hopeing other suggestions will pop up.

Thankx,
    Rick