Thread: New to Oracle

Question Unanswered: New to Oracle

Running Oracle 9i Release 2, on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server connecting via Terminal Services.

I can't seem to get into my database. Here's what i've done:

1. From a command prompt, "lsnrctl start". I see "...command completed successfully."
    2. Into the Enterprise Manager Console, Launch Standalone.
    3. When I try to expand my database, "ORA-12500: TNS:Listener failed to start a dedicated server process". My user id and password are valid, I think.
    4. Back to the command prompt, "lsnrctl services", returns:
    "Service attiTest.Wall" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "attiTest", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service.
    Handler(s):
    "DEDICATED" establied:0 refused:3"

What am I missing?
    Jeff Jonsson

Re: New to Oracle

You've started the listener, but have you started the database? Try starting the database service and see if that helps.

If it were you're username and password causing the problem , you would get an error message that contains the phrase '... INVALID USERNAME AND PASSWORD ....'

Let us know what happened.

HTH,
    Patrick

Originally posted by JeffJonsson
    Running Oracle 9i Release 2, on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server connecting via Terminal Services.

I can't seem to get into my database. Here's what i've done:

1. From a command prompt, "lsnrctl start". I see "...command completed successfully."
    2. Into the Enterprise Manager Console, Launch Standalone.
    3. When I try to expand my database, "ORA-12500: TNS:Listener failed to start a dedicated server process". My user id and password are valid, I think.
    4. Back to the command prompt, "lsnrctl services", returns:
    "Service attiTest.Wall" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "attiTest", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service.
    Handler(s):
    "DEDICATED" establied:0 refused:3"

What am I missing?

Re: New to Oracle

I go to the command prompt, and enter SQLPLUS /NOLOG, then from the SQL> prompt, i enter Connect, type in my username and password, and i get:

ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

I did a search in the Oracle forum and found a couple of posts which seem to point to either the "tnsnames.ora" or "listener.ora" files, but these look correct when compared with the examples in the posts. My protocol is TCP, which I assume it should be, and the port looks correct. This error comes up if my listener is running or not.

Is there another way to start the database? I am using a PDF of the "Oracle 9i Database Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2) for Windows" as my reference and all it says about this error is that i have to start the OracleServiceSID service. I checked my running processes and i don't see this in there. How would I start this process? It is not starting when my server restarts.
    Jeff Jonsson

On your Win2K box open the control panel -> administrative tools -> services.

Then scroll down to find a service called OracleService[YourSID] and make sure it is set to automatic and started, or start it manually.

HTH
    Bill

Excellent!! Thank you Bill and Patrick!
    Jeff Jonsson